Surgery Scheduled

Kristina41
on 5/30/12 9:30 pm
RNY on 06/26/12
Hello - My surgery is scheduled for June 26 - I have been preparing for about a year now, and it just doesn't seem real that the date is at the end of June.
I am trying very hard to prepare mentally for the surgery and changes that it will cause.
Please - is there any advice you can give me to prepare?
Is there anything you wish someone had told you before you went into the hospital? Although I'm looking forward to beginning a new life, I'm terribly anxious about the surgery itself.....
Thanks,
Kristina

Trianni
on 5/30/12 10:34 pm - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12
Be prepared to ride an emotional roller coaster in the first days after surgery. No one warned me that it could happen so when it DID happen I didn't handle it very well. After about a week things evened out but for a while there it got pretty hairy. I hope you have an easier time of it than I did!

Rebecca
Kay L.
on 5/30/12 10:39 pm - N., AL
Congratulations! My surgery was June 26 six years ago! I remember that feeling of excitement, anticipation, etc. Make sure you have some things that fit into your surgeon's eating plan for you when you get home. Take lip balm to the hospital. It will come in handy because you'll be parched. Get up and walk as soon as they will let you. It will help get you going and work out any gas you have.

If you have questions about your particular surgeon's program (eating phases (liquids, softs, etc.), contact them and ask. If you already have that information, look at the list and pick up a few things to get you through the first week or two. Don't buy large amounts of anything, because your tastes will likely change. Maybe order some protein supplement samples. Many companies offer them.

Best wishes!!
Kristina41
on 5/30/12 10:52 pm
RNY on 06/26/12
Thank you both!
I was wondering about the emotional impact of it.....I was expecting it to hit maybe when I get home, and I'm "on my own" so to speak....
What kinds of emotions did you feel? Were you feeling strong things for no reason? Or were you regreting the surgery?

I've had three C-sections and I did get up and walk as much as I could after each one, even though it hurt. The doctor was surprised that I was up as often as I was. I'm wondering if this surgery will feel the same - if so, I know I can get through it OK.
Thanks for the advice! And, are you happy one year after your surgery??
Kristina

Most Active
Recent Topics