Following up with Charlie C.'s earlier post in re: Trigger Foods...

lesserman
on 6/6/12 12:39 pm - Chicago, IL
...and I have identified one:

So, today there was a department luncheon for three (3) of our co-workers at this restaurant in Lincolnshire called Phillly G's...(really nice place)...this is the first real dining out that I've had occasion to do since before surgery...and of course, there are the damn baskets of bread on the table along with bottles of olive oil, butter...I decide that I will try one slice of bread with some butter to see how it goes down...

Big mistake...big, BIG mistake...

Why?

It's warm, like it's not too far removed from the oven...the butter melts...it goes down all too easily...one slice became four (4)...thank goodness I listened to my pouch when it told me I was full...because of that I barely managed maybe 4 spoonfuls of the minestrone soup I ordered and was not at all inclined to even try the house salad...

Lesson Learned:  Get the damn bread away from me at the table...encourage everyone else to eat it...hell, I surrender...I don't have that kind of resolve or discipline...yet...

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/6/12 12:50 pm
I understand.  I love bread.  Since surgery it doesn't sit well so I don't eat it much anymore.

Winnie

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/12 12:56 pm - Round Lake, IL
RNY on 04/20/12
That's why I'm afraid to go to Bob Chinn's, Moretti's and Olive Garden!  DAMN BREAD!!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/6/12 1:08 pm - OH
I am glad to read that the bread did not make you sick because lots of people find that soft bread like that sits like a rock in their pouches (and they can only tolerate toasted bread or crackers).  I was expecting that to be the big mistake.  

FWIW, even at almost 5 years out, I still cannot have bread and butter in front of me at a restaurant. I have one small piece (or half  a piece depending on the size) and then ask whoever I am with to move the bread 
away from me as far as possible.  I have dinner with my mom, brother, and SIL most Friday nights and they are now "trained" to immediately move the bread basket.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Ladytazz
on 6/6/12 2:02 pm
Bread is like crack to me.  Warm bread would be the end of me.  And I would sell my body to get more warm sourdough one I start.  Better for me to avoid it although I heard about a new bread from Julian's Bakery called Zero Carb that is gluten free, sugar free and probably taste free but I'm going to give it a try.  It has a lot of fiber and 9 grams of protein per slice.  Sounds too good to be true but I'll see for myself.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 6/6/12 3:02 pm - OH
I usually push the bread basket away, and also don't take a bread plate, which keeps me from grabbing for some bread.  I get something to drink and while everyone else is starting on the bread, I drink drink drink.  Then when my meal arrives, I push the drink away.

I LOVE bread.  I can think of half a dozen restaurants where I would love to just go eat bread, never mind about ordering a meal.  Sometimes I decide I do want some bread, and in those cases, I usually eat maybe half a roll or half a biscuit or something, and I take the portion I'm going to eat, push the rest away, and push my plate away as soon as I'm done with my portion.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kidnamedtoad
on 6/6/12 3:51 pm
What is it about bread that makes it so damn good?  Bread is a major trigger food for me. But I'm completely addicted to carbs in general.
Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
mpjones
on 6/7/12 12:10 am
Yup, give me a loaf of warm bread and a stick of butter--my version of heaven !! Gonna miss that after surgery-LOL !!
jazzycatz
on 6/7/12 12:21 am - Joppa, MD
Ahhhh bread...how I loved it pre-op.  I have been extremely happy that bread just doesn't sit well in my pouch since surgery because it is a major trigger for me.  I have given up pizza because of that.  Can't eat the toppings and toss that crust away.  If it's crispy thin crust I will eat and then be consumed with eating all day long.  If it's a regular crust I will try to eat it knowing it will not agree with me and make me ill. 

Pasta will do it to me as well. 

Damn simple carbs.  Curse you! 

Cleopatra_Nik
on 6/7/12 12:25 am - Baltimore, MD
 I remember reading or seeing somewhere that was one criticism that folks leveled against WLS - that carbs tend to go down better than the foods we should be eating. I find that PARTIALLY true. The foods I absolutely tolerate the best are ones I shouldn't eat often. But there are plenty of ok everyday choices that go down just fine as well.

But I feel you on the bread. I don't crave it if I don't go near it but when there is fresh baked bread within my reach? Mmmmmmmm...

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!