I think my skin is not attached to anything....

Zeigled
on 6/12/12 4:06 am - Parkton, MD
I find it really weird that my skin only seems hang over me like a deflated ballon.  For some reason I thought the skin was actually attached to my torso (I don't know - the muscles or something).  It really doesn't appear that way though.  I've lost weight and now I have 'blousing' at my knees, my hips, waist (where the surgeon did appear to attach my skin to something internal), my elbows, etc.  I find it odd that all the remaining fat settles into the blousing.    It's so weird - I lay on my back to exercise.  First I have to avoid laying on my own boobs which are now behind me but my ribcage is sticking out.  I'm just thought that the fat would be attached to the rib area or something.  It's a very strange result....
HW 357 SW 341   

jewel-twin
on 6/12/12 4:15 am - Canada
LOL @ being careful not to lay on your boobs... I KNOW this will be an issue for me post op...

there is a layer of ... something....(can't think of the technical term for it) that holds you together the problem is that layer is stretched out like your skin.. (think of taking the skin off a chicken you know that slimmy stuff under the skin and fat but over the meat??)

Often people who have lots of babies experience prolapsed bladder etc because this "stuff" *(whatever its called)* is stretched out and no longer holds properly to your insides.

ummm...does that even make sense??

Juls
Jilly Bean
on 6/12/12 6:21 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
It's connective tissue.  

Sometimes the skin loses its elasticity and can't snap back.  It depends of how much you lose (50 pounds vs 200 pounds), how fast, how long you've been obese (ex., your whole life vs 5 years), previous history of yo-yo dieting, water/protein, genetics, etc.  

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Cathrine J.
on 6/12/12 6:25 am - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12
I don't know why it does that but mine is doing the same.  My abdomen above my belly button is beginning to look more deflated and almost rippled.  So is my pannus (apron) below my belly button.  My thighs are showing it and my butt looks ridiculous.  Brings new meaning to 'saggy butt'.  I have the same problem with my breasts as you do.  I guess this is why so many pursue plastic surgery after WLS. 

I see my doctor this afternoon to find out what might be covered by the provincial medical plan in terms of post-WLS plastic surgery.  I'm not holding my breath though.

I look forward to others' replies, too.

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"

Most Active
Recent Topics