Hair Loss

Amber Isbell
on 6/12/12 8:15 am - Devine, TX
So I am 7 days post op today. 

I am secretly freaking out that my hair is going to fall out  because I can't get enough protein. 
Dr. says, "just do your best". 

I can't seem to find a protein shake that agrees with my palate.  I have the samples from vitalady and sugar free syrups from DaVinci and I have checked out Nik's recipes. I've also checked out theworldaccording toeggface and some of her recipes.  The concsistency of the shake is just not right.  It's more like water that tastes nasty.

I also know that I have 5 more days on Stage 1-which is Sugar Free liquids. I am going out of my mind with this.  Which will total 19 days of LIQUIDS.  I don't think I can do this for 5 more days. 

As I said earlier, I'm so worried about my hair and losing it. 

What are your thoughts on Ensure High Protein shakes? I noticed they have only 5grams of sugar per shake but 25grams of protein.

HW:280, Lap Band 2005-225lbs-LW, Revision to RNY 06/05/12 -245lbs

brenlee1965
on 6/12/12 8:23 am - New Berlin, NY
You'll probably get alot of people responding on this. The loss of hair is a VERY sensitive subject for so many. I was told that the protein is essential (but so is Biotin...is that in your multivitamin? I read that a zinc deficiency can cause hair loss also) so I would check my vitamins. Do you have protein powder or dry instant milk that you can sprinkle on things? This is helpful (from what I have read) to get in the protein. I have yet to get the surgery myself....soon, I hope to hear about the surgery date! Good luck!
 Bren                
Dee.spunk
on 6/12/12 8:29 am - Sacramento, CA
Yup. You will probably lose hair, but I've read that not everyone does. So maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. Who knows. What I do know is that I went into this knowing I would lose my hair. I have alopecia so I know what it's like to lose all my hair, so I wasn't worried about it. Befor my surgery I had hair down to my waist, but since I knew it would fall out I got a pixie cut. Now I'm wearing a wig, cause it got so thin there was no way to hide it. I live with it and feel fine. I Rick my wig! Got a picture on my profile with it on. People can't even tell!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

ChellbyB
on 6/12/12 8:44 am - CA
RNY on 03/21/12
 The hair loss started a couple of weeks for me and has been significant.  This too shall pass.
 Chellby

"That which doesn't kill me had better be able to RUN pretty darn fast!"

happy_baker
on 6/12/12 9:02 am, edited 6/11/12 9:04 pm
RNY on 02/15/12
I am 4 months out and have JUST now started losing my hair. It doesn't happen quickly, it usually takes anywhere from several weeks to a few months.

And sadly, there's not a lot you can do to prevent it. Hair loss is not specific to bariatric surgery. Hair loss is a side effect of surgery, bodily trauma, and rapid weight loss. I lost a ton of hair after my first cesarean. It's our body's way of coping to being invaded. Some people don't lose their hair at all, and some will lose lots. It's unique to everyone.

You can take biotin and get all your protein and vitamins--those things will certainly help to minimize the effect, but it's not something you can outright prevent entirely.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Cheryle
on 6/12/12 9:22 am - VA
amber try syntax nectar protein from the vitamin shoppe online.. its better than the thick protein drinks.. i still don't LOVE it.. and am still not getting enough but it is helping.. I am two months out..  266/226 pounds.. as compared.. I don't think I am going down fast.. not as fast as my dr. predicted.. but I will take a 40 pound loss just the same..  I started taking the biotin every morning.. and added a magnesium as well. A dr. told a friend thats ahead of me by 4 months and loseing hair to take these to help.

BWB
on 6/12/12 9:23 am
At 9 + months, my hair is beginning to come back. It remains to be seen if it will be as thick but I have hope. It really has been awful to look in the mirror. Join the crowd.

Christy L.
on 6/12/12 9:41 am - TN
I'm 7 weeks out and this is one of my biggest fears! 

As far as protein, it's REALLY hard to get the required amount of protein in at first.  It was even harder for me to find a protein shake that I could drink.  I'm so sensitive to vitamin tastes and protein made me queasy.  Before surgery my cousin let me try some drinks she had been using before/after workouts.  EAS Advantage Carb Control in Fudge are not bad at all.  They are 17 g of protein and 110 calories.  I drink one every morning on my way to work and pretend it's a yoohoo!  She got me two cases at Sam's Club for around 20 bucks each I think. 

Hang in there and take it day by day.  It gets better!

mpjones
on 6/12/12 12:56 pm
I haven't had surgery yet but my hair is already thinning and baby fine--the thought of losing even more hair was something I just couldn't face-- so I purchased 2 wigs and have already started wearing them--I can't tell you how much better they have made me feel already !!
Arieschick33
on 6/12/12 12:58 pm - Lusby, MD
RNY on 01/17/12
 I'm 6 months post op and just recently started losing ALOT of hair suddenly. I know I don't get enough protein. Trying to up my intake to see if it helps, I was afraid of this but it didn't catch up to me until 6 months. I'm gonna try the ensure myself because I'm super picky about most protein drinks/shakes/recipes

Most Active
Recent Topics