1 Year Labs - Questions

azambesi
on 6/13/12 12:35 am - Milton, FL
I just got the results for my 1 year labs and I wanted to post them here. My surgeon retired and I have not been able to get in with the other surgeon in town yet, so these were done by my PCP who does not have RNY experience.

B-1:     11.4
B-6:     1.6 (Low)
Ferritin:   36
B-12:     512
Folic Acid:    7.7
Vitamin D:   18.7  (Low)
FT4:     0.99
Total T3:   90.63
Free T3:   2.6
TSH:      1.430
Glycosylated Hemoglobin:    5.6
WBC:    3.6
RBC:     4.64
Hemoglobin:    13.5
Hematocrit:      40.4
MCV:    87
MCH:   29.1
MCHC:    33.4
Platelet Count:    228
RDW:    12.7
MPV:     10.0
Sodium:   141
Potassium:   3.6
Chloride:    105
CO2:      29
Glucose:   83
BUN:   8
Creatinine Serum:   0.9
Calcium:   8.5  (Low)
Total Protein:   6.2   (Low)
Albumin:   3.5
Bili:   0.43
SGOT:  16
SGPT:  33
Cholesterol:   134
Triglycerides:   40
LDL:  60
HDL:  62

I am currently taking the following:

Morning:
Calcium (Celebrate)
Multi without iron (Celebrate)
Potassium (RX) - I have been low in prior lab runs
B-50 Complex (Celebrate)
Biotin (5000mcg)

Afternoon:
Calcium (Celebrate)

Dinner:
Iron +C 30mg (Celebrate)
Multi (Celebrate)

Before bed:
Calcium (Celebrate)

B-12 Injections 1ML every 2 weeks.

My doc just called in an RX for 50,000IU of D - 2x a week. They came in the little gel pills - which I know that we don't absorb, so I am going to go on vitalady today and order dry D3.

Is there anything else I need to add?

How can I raise my B-6 level? Should I take more B-50 complex?

Thank you for your help!

Aletheia

poet_kelly
on 6/13/12 1:06 am - OH
Your B12 is low.  Below 550, people often get symptoms like fatigue and depression.  I would increase your injections to weekly - that's how often I need to do mine to maintain a good level.

Your D, as you know, is extremely low.  According to the Linus Pauling Institute, it needs to be at least 80.  You are correct that we need dry D3.  When my D level was 25, I took the 50,000 IU D3 daily for a couple months to get my level up.  Currently, I have to take it three times a week just to maintain a good level.

You are not getting nearly enough protein.

I don't see an iron level, which is important to get.  I also don't see vitamin A, zinc, copper, vitamin K or PTH.

To increase your B6, I would probably just take a B6 supplement rather than more B complex, since your B1 and folate (B9) are OK.  You don't really need more of all the B's, just the B6.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

azambesi
on 6/13/12 1:13 am - Milton, FL
Thank you for your help. My doc had said that my B-12 was fine, so I am glad I posted it here.

As for the protein, I am currently getting between 70 and 80 grams. How much do you think I need to supplement to bring my levels up?

Thank you,

Aletheia
poet_kelly
on 6/13/12 1:30 am - OH
However much it takes to get your total protein level up to at least 7.0 and your albumin level up to at least 4.0.  The only way to really know how much that is, is to increase your intake and the watch your labs and see what works.  I'd try aiming for at least 100 grams a day for the next few months and then get it checked again.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 6/13/12 1:08 am - Mira Loma, CA
B12 and D are considered way low. B12 should be 900-1000 for safety sake. Getting sick you're B12 drops way low, and makes you prone to issues like Rickets, etc.  So with the levels mentioned your body is much better off. D should be 80-90. Yes, I too use the Vitalady dry D3.  I'd start out with 4 of the 50K IU dry D3 per week.  Each person is different in their body's D requirement. I took 4 of the 50K per week, and after 2 years I had a D of 65, starting from a 33.  Adjust D as needed after lab results. Even you say you get B12 injections, I'd so a sublingual B12 also.  Personally I take a 2500mcg about 3-4 times a week, or you can augment with a lower level daily.  You likely can find a vitamin B6 to augment your vitamins also.  Vitalady also has a nice calcium citrate capsule that I used daily.  I chose the one with 300mg of elemental calcium per capsule, taking two each morning and evening. The elemental calcium portion of the calcium citrate is considered the part that gives you the "most benefit".  Most calcium citrate pills are only about 25% elemental calcium. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

azambesi
on 6/13/12 1:15 am - Milton, FL
Thank you for your help. I will add the sublingual B-12 and will likely change calcium supplements. Mine does not say how much is elemental calcium on it.

Aletheia
poet_kelly
on 6/13/12 1:31 am - OH
The way Celebrate products are labeled, however much calcium it says it has, that is elemental calcium.  Their chewable calcium supplements are either 250 mg or 500 mg, depending on which one you're taking.