Maybe a quality mirror wouldn't be such a bad idea....

lesserman
on 6/16/12 11:29 am, edited 6/16/12 11:30 am - Chicago, IL
So, today, my wife and I had our evaluation at the Arthur Murray Dance Studio nearest us (River North part of downtown Chicago...north of the Loop and the river) and during a mini coaching session I caught a glimpse of myself in an ungurarded moment in the giant, floor-to-ceiling, entire length-of-the-wall mirror...and did not see a fat guy...or at least not a huge, fat guy...granted, business casual/weekend clothes (casual/weekend for me, anyway...white button-down oxford shirt, navy twills, loafers) likely made a difference...but still, I did not hate nor was I repulsed by the appearance of the guy in the mirror...

(At the risk of sounding manic, anyone *****ad my post last Sunday must be wondering just how far off the deep end I've gone...but trust me, the DI from the film "Full Metal Jacket" that lives in my head and keeps me from having too positive a self-image is alive and well)...

...so it occurs to me, might part of the problem be the poor quality of mirror I've been using for over the past decade? It's one that we bought at our local True Value hardware store because we needed one in a hurry...and just never upgraded...

Also, for those who have been there, does it make a significant difference if you are wearing clothes that fit (more the right size) than the old clothes that feel nice and roomy, now?

Weight at Heaviest: 320 lbs. 
Weight at Surgery:
283.6 lbs.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion...

soozieq
on 6/16/12 1:26 pm
There are a couple mirrors in my house that I do not trust. lol
Why can't they all be the same?  Makes me a little crazy.

I'm glad you did not hate the appearance of the guy in the mirror!
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/16/12 1:33 pm - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 There was one mirror in a coffeehouse that used to make me look beeyouteeful. That coffeehouse got a lot of my business. So keep looking until you find your own magic mirror. Maybe you can get the one in the dance studio.

I can't speak to the clothes that fit question. My clothes that did fit made me look huge because I was huge. Now they make me look huge because I'm still really big and the clothes are still huge.

Keep on dancin'!  
Cherokeesage
on 6/16/12 3:04 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
I have a lot of clothes so am looking foward to downsizing my closet when they are gone.  Some of my pants got so baggy that I finally went through the slacks because I got tired of choosing an outfit and the pants not fit.  There were some still with tags that I had bought when I had the band expecting to wear the next season and then didn't get small enough.  I should have tried them on sooner.  I still have a lot of slacks that fit just right now and some that will soon fit.   Yes, I do feel and look better in these slacks after saying goodbye to 42 pounds in 3 months.  I walk by a mirror and have to take a second and third look.  I look at my closet and wonder how long before most of this clothing will be gone.  My shirts are not moving as fast but when I look down there is not a big belly in the way.   I also wonder what to hang on to if I gain some back like others post on here.  

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

hedrider
on 6/16/12 3:18 pm - Midlothian, TX
 I still a fat chick when I look in any mirror purposely.

However, when I catch myself in a reflection somewhere when I am not expecting it I see an extremely skinny woman.  It's odd.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/16/12 3:27 pm
Didn't that drill instructor get shot? *cue evil laugh*

Clothes that fit are far more flattering. Big and baggy may be comfy but it adds a lot to our frames. I have a coworker who, when I wear something I've shrunk out of, just looks at me and says, "No". That's my cue to find another home for the item in question.

I don't hate the fattish chick I see in the mirror anymore, so I know what you mean. I used to either only look at one specific part of myself or wince if I saw my whole reflection.

Now when I see myself in a mirror, especially in dance class, I don't want to slink away in shame.  And I'm not thin, but I take pleasure in the fact that my face isn't beet red from exertion and I don't get winded in two minutes.

So good for you for having positive thoughts about yourself.
Calla Lily
on 6/17/12 12:12 am
RNY on 01/23/12
When I wear my comfy old 3X pj's around the house, I definitely feel unrestricted, sit with my legs either tucked up in front of me, crossed at the knee, or like a pretzel... all positions I could not sit in 5 months ago, and I think Yippee I can do this again! Then when I am going out of the house, or "other people" will see me, I will wear fitted clothing and feel great in them! When in fitted clothing, looking in the mirror, I catch myself saying in my mind, WOWWY! Who knew I was so good looking under all that fat! I know that sounds extra full of myself LOL But I figure I deserve to start being nice to myself and loving the way I look! :) It makes me happy to hear that you also are starting to enjoy your reflection! it's fun right?

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

akray99
on 6/17/12 1:09 am, edited 6/17/12 1:09 am - Rouses Point, NY
RNY on 04/17/12
I don't think it is the quality of the mirror but the mindset of the person reflected there-in.  After doing a huge closet purge and discovering that I had no more clothes that were the proper size, I went on a shopping trip to buy some rather than go naked which was my only other alternative.  Once people started seeing me in considerably smaller clothes, many told me that my weigthloss is considerably more noticeable which feeds the ego and shrinks the wallet right along with my waistline.