Tips for traveling?

artroxy blue
on 6/20/12 11:59 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I'm planning a trip to San Francisco in September, so I'll be about a month out. Any suggestions/tips for making this trip as seamless as possible? I'm traveling with my husband and then-18 month old toddler. I know--craziness! But, we're going to visit some family and to take a real vacation. 

I'm planning to have some things shipped to my aunt's house as we get closer to traveling, such as protein powder, an umbrella stroller, etc., and purchasing other things once we get there. Vitamins are going into my carry-on, as well as some snacks, like string cheese, milk. Anything else that I'm missing or should have? Thanks in advance!
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/20/12 12:10 pm
Milk on a carry on  as in flying?  You will be limited to 3 oz.  You may find that you are lactose intolerant.  Milk may not be the best thing for traveling.  I traveled at about a month out and ate things I wasn't ready for the first day for breakfast and was miserable all day.  The next day I decided to be safe and just got a glass of milk at breakfast.  I had the foamies all day.  We went to the zoo and I had a terrible time and kept getting sick. 

Pack/buy foods that are easy and that you know you can tolerate.  At one month out that may be a short list but getting sick while on vacation is no fun.

Winnie

lynnc99
on 6/20/12 12:14 pm
 Remember that no liquids will clear security - so nix the milk in your carry on. You can pick up a bottle of water once you are through security.

You will have no problem clearing security with pre measured protein powder. Use snack size ziplocs for simplicity. 

Be prepared to purchase and take care of any food items you need once you are there, whether staying with family or in a hotel. Don't "expect" a host to know what you need or have it on hand. Planning and preparation will be key and will allow you to hit a home run. 

Plan on snacks for on the go situations, just as you would at home. 

Mentally prepare for any meals you will eat out. What will you order in situation A? B? C?

poet_kelly
on 6/20/12 12:22 pm - OH
Take or buy food for yourself, lots of it.  make sure you have snacks you can eat when you go out in case you end up being out longer than you thought, so you don't end up making less than healthy choices because you're just really hungry.  At a month out, I would mostly stick to things you know you can tolerate.  

I know on vacation people usually want to enjoy different, extra yummy food.  So early out, though, there is a good chance at least some new yummy things you try won't agree with you and it totally sucks to be on vacation and stuck in the hotel bathroom puking when everyone else wants you to hurry up and finish puking so you can go sightseeing.  Or it sucks to be stuck in the bathroom puking while everyone else goes out to do something fun without you.  Getting sick in restaurant bathrooms is most unpleasant - who wants to put their face that close to a toilet in a public restroom?  I imagine trying to puke in a plane bathroom would be unpleasant, as well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kat Kat
on 6/20/12 12:35 pm - AZ

Well, it's good to see you're okay with a challenge.... I suggest individual baggies of protein powder, and a shaker bottle. You can purchase milk on the concourse, and make a shake. You could also bring along crystal light to add to bottled water purchased on the concourse too. How about snack packs of pudding that don't require refrigerating? Most airports have McDonald's these days. I've ordered a  breakfast sandwich (not the muffin,  get the one with the egg beaters) and eaten only the egg when in a pinch. Some restaurants serve soups, so those are good choices too. You really won't need much that early out to keep you satisfied though. Just remember to get in protein, keep hydrated, and use caution if trying something new.

Kat

artroxy blue
on 6/20/12 12:37 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Thanks for the reminder about liquids! I was thinking that after we made it through the checkpoints, then I could buy a milk for a shake (if needed). I was also thinking I could take milk for my daughter, but I just checked, and I guess juice is acceptable but milk isn't--go figure. Hopefully, she'll be off of the toddler formula by then so I don't have to worry about bringing just enough formula for the flight. 

As for eating out, I'm already thinking about "safe" foods for wherever I order from, so I won't be tempted to gorge and get sick. I'm thinking of making a bag of food for myself for each day we're out since we're staying with my aunt, and we'll have access to a fridge, stove, etc. Grocery shopping on my first day is on the list! LOL 
Cherokeesage
on 6/20/12 5:27 pm, edited 6/20/12 5:28 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Now that I see your mode of transportation, I will add what I did when I traveled after being banded.  My diet was similar to my RNY diet.  I took a few individual packets of protein to include my protein drink, protein hot chocolate and protein chicken soup in our carry-on with a shaker bottle that I'd wash out.  You can call ahead and see if they will allow the bottle ones that you just add liquid to and shake.  Those are what I take in car travel for convenience.  I just throw them away after use.  I've never had a problem taking these things on but it is always worth a call to see if they have changed regulations.

The larger airports have a lot more to choose from in their restaurants and kiosk.  I remember getting a plain grilled chicken salad and ate the chicken.  There was also a wide selection at one airport of yogurt.  Just browse the menus and eat it there or ask if you can take it on the plane.  If you are having food issues, I would stick to my protein packets.  No one wants to puke on a plane in the toilet or little bag.  The larger planes will have water to offer.  If you take any smaller planes buy your water inside the gate.  I always buy a couple at the smaller airports.  One if I need a protein drink and one for my water.  I often ask for a cup of ice just so I can let it melt in my mouth.

When we stay in motels that have breakfast I stock up on the small containers of peanut butter to take when we travel on planes.  It is not PB2 but it is in a small sealed container.  It's not as healthy as PB2 but I figure it beats some of the alternatives served on the plane.  Before collecting the peanut butter, I put a little PB2 in a baggie with a couple of crackers, removed the crackers and just added a little water, squished the baggie between my fingers and let it set a few minutes.  Customs has never made me dump it.  I don't think it shows or when they check they don't see more ounces that allowed.

I also pack individual crystal light pkgs to add to my water.  (I like to have the tea ones.)  I don't go overboard just pack what I know I will use.  I take my nausea cream too.  Your Dr can order for you through your pharmacy if you don't have some left from surgery.  And, I take the small pkg of wipes in my purse.   I get excited when people get to travel so sorry to be long winded here.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

artroxy blue
on 6/20/12 9:15 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 No worries!  I appreciate any helpful tips! I just want to be prepared--mentally and packing-wise. Thank you! 
Larry Wassmann
on 6/20/12 11:43 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I am going on a trip in July so thanks for the tips. My first after WLS. 

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

grmadeb01
on 6/21/12 12:18 am - FL
well i went on a extended workaction at my 2 months post op...i had to go out of state for 3.5 months to work at my 2 month post op mark..flying was NOT fun at all, it was horrible....we have an hour drive to air port to just get started....thought ok i will eat there and get like some one suggested MCdonalds...NOT..i got the cheese egg thing took off bun...the cheese is not real cheese it tasted like oil in my mouth...took a couple of bites and knew it was not going to work..it was dry and just knew we were not getting along..but i did not get sick or anything but did not finish any more than a couple of bites....i had orginally thought about taking a cooler on the plane with some stuff but then could not get a definate answer as to whether they could take it at security or not..i was getting conflicting asnwers...from the air ports and security....
so i go thru security and tried to get a yogurt on the other side..got one, but then started reading the stats on it and they were not that good, it was not the type i was use to eating at home..i was a bit nervous about flying anyhow so i did not eat it....by this time i was miserable, nothing much to eat and i did not have stuff with me that i KNEW i could eat....at this point i was not allowed to have protein bars, but i wish i would have tried some of those before leaving...got to my layover and got off the plane and was starving..so i went to A&W, got a grilled chicken, did not eat the bun....a few bites and it tasted like fish, and just dry and just yucky....but man it was like $8 and could not jusitfy pitching it....but i did...hubby told me to get what i could eat and not to worry about the cost....so i found a sub sand place, asked if cold have the inners with out the bun..they said sure..so i got that and ate at my gate....was ok..but not the greatest, but at this point i was past the point of HUNGRY.....i had a mileage thing on my jeans, that day i walked almost 4 miles and did not leave the air ports....i just wanted to sit down and cry when i finally got to my gate....im not a high flyer and such so it was an experience to just get on the plane, let alone being 2 month post op....
well coming back home..it was 3.5 months later, and i came prepared at this point...i had a 2 hour drive one way to air port this time to get to plane, then a hour drive home when i got off the plane..so this time, i took a cooler in ride to airport, took food out of cooler and my ride dropeed me off as they had 2 hours back....i checked my luggage, then got to just before the security and i sat down and ate my cottege cheese salad and peice of cheese..but i also had in my purse, beef jerky, almonds and protein bar for the just in case.....things were so much better on the way home then on the way there....
sorry this was so long but this was my experience flying at 2 months post op..i was by myself with no hubby or toddler...i could not imagine...so now i know that you can bring a cooler, but you have to make sure the ice cooly pack is not the least bit melting or they will make you get rid of that part...then leave your cooler with out ice....
i know you can take the dry formula or protein powders but not liguids...i think you can take 1 fixed bottle but not sure on that one...
good luck on your endeavor...it was a challenge to me..but i would stop at the store when you get to where you are going and get what you know you are going to be able to eat with no problems....i had a hard time eating first thing in the mornings so that made getting to the air port a challenge as i was not ABLE to eat that early either way..leaving or coming home...but dont count on being able to find someting there for you to eat before security as some place are just not bypass friendly that early out....i had no problems eating at 2 months out i was not doing protein shakes as i came home from hospital on the purree stage and only had to be on that for 2 weeks, but i know each surgeon has a different plan and some have to stay on liquids for a long time after surgery..
again good luck
debby
Most Active
Recent Topics