Vitamins

WildHeart101
on 6/23/12 9:52 pm - Lexington, KY
I'm just curious as to what vitamins everyone is taking.  I normally take a Bari-pak and think it may just be cheaper to purchase the vitamins individually.  I know I need to ask my NUT for the list still but I was wondering what everyone was taking....
Cindy    *number on ticker includes 14.5 lbs lost prior to surgery                                                                                

poet_kelly
on 6/23/12 10:04 pm - OH
The ASMBS recommends two multis, 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate, iron and B12, along with anything else your labs show you need.

I take a generic multi, equivalent to Centrum, twice a day.
I take 1500 mg calcium citrate, using a variety of calcium supplements.  I use generic calcium citrate tablets, Upcal D, Bariatric Advantage caramel chews and Calcet creamy bites.
I take Sundown Perfect Iron, 75 mg with 500 mg vitamin C (generic) to aid absorption.
I take B12 shots.
I take 50,000 IU D3 three times a week, based on my labs.  I use the vitalady brand.
I take 25,000 IU vitamin A three times a week, based on my labs, also the vitalady brand.
I take 50 mg zinc twice a week, based on my labs, also the vitalady brand.

What is in the Bari pak you are using?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

WildHeart101
on 6/23/12 10:14 pm - Lexington, KY
The Bari-pak I'm taking is made by BSS in Lexington.  I don't have my container with me....They are $40 monthly and worth it.  I should probably just stick with them.....

poet_kelly
on 6/23/12 10:22 pm - OH
I tried to look it up but their website does not seem to be working.

Is it a variety of vitamins?  A multi, calcium citrate, iron and sublingual B12?  $40 a month is a good price if it includes all that.

It's not one of those all-in-one vitamins, is it?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 6/23/12 10:23 pm - OH
Oh!  And in terms of cost, I spend $1.06 per day for all my vitamins, so it is cheaper (or can be) to buy them all separately.

WildHeart101
on 6/24/12 12:01 am - Lexington, KY
The website is BSSLEX.com

poet_kelly
on 6/24/12 12:09 am - OH
I know but this is what message I get when I try to go there "Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111) in /var/www/html/includes/functions/database.php on line 19
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)"

WildHeart101
on 6/24/12 12:41 am - Lexington, KY
 and yes Kelly, they are all in one vitamins.....I take two packs a day (4 pills in each) with my iron in between them.

poet_kelly
on 6/24/12 12:47 am - OH
Well, I can tell you that won't work as far as your calcium goes.  We can only absorb about 500 mg calcium at a time and we need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate daily, according to the ASMBS, so we need to take it three or four times a day.

It also won't work for B12 because we have to take that in a sublingual that dissolves under the tongue, or else the nasal spray or injections, because we lack intrinsic factor in our pouch.

Jessica A.
on 6/24/12 1:38 am, edited 6/24/12 1:40 am - Auburn, AL
 I take a bariatric multivitamin two times a day
500mg of calcium citrate petites three times a day
2500mcg of B12 once a week
10,000mg of Vitamin A once a day
5000mg of Vitamin D3 once a day
18mg of Iron with 500mg of Vitamin C once a day
1000mg Flaxseed Oil once a day
6mg of Fiber Chewables three times a day

I purchase all of my vits at Walmart except the bariatric multi but when I run out of those, I'm going to start taking centrum from Walmart as well.  
Most Active
Recent Topics