No Water Ever?

sweetishgirl
on 6/24/12 5:36 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I was told A LOT of people can't drink water after RNY.  I wanted to ask some people on here that have had the surgery, as I haven't had mine yet, if that is true.  I LOVE water-I chug it even if I'm not working out and don't know what I would do without it.

Can any of you please tell me if this is true?  If so, what does it do  to make you not want or not be able to drink it?
JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/24/12 5:41 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
You HAVE TO drink water !! you may not be able to chug it but you would be in real trouble if you didn't drink water.
I drink 3 -32 oz. bottles a day at least
You may have a bit of trouble right after surgery although I didn't .

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Lady Lithia
on 6/24/12 5:48 am
I probably drink 6 oz of water a day without additives

and 100 + oz a day with stuff added.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 6/24/12 5:52 am - OH
I think she's talking about plain water and we don't have to have plain water.  We have to have fluid but it could be water with lemon, crystal light, tea, coffee (decaf), skim milk, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, protein shakes, broth, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 6/24/12 5:41 am
 Some people have trouble chugging down water and end up sipping it.  I was able to chug down 20 ounces at a time by a week after surgery.  Other people say that chugging hurts them, but everyone needs plenty of water after surgery.  At least 64 ounces a day and as much as you can handle.  The exception is not drinking with meals and waiting for 30 minutes after meals to start drinking again.
Lady Lithia
on 6/24/12 5:50 am
I get nauseous with 3 oz of liquid... and I could sip a couple ounces an hour all day but never get enough liquid. But I can chug-a-lug with the best and generally drink at least 24 ounces an hour while I work.. all protein shakes all the time.

cathey9338
on 6/24/12 5:43 am - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 06/19/12 with
I too am a water fanatic!  LOVE it!!!  Typically have gotten way more than 64 on a daily basis.

I'm five days post-op.  Day One I had a TON of ice chips - actually got in trouble because I wasn't supposed to be consuming them?!?!  Day Two, Day Three, Day Four... very very very little.  Barely enough to keep my mouth from sticking together.  I didn't want ANYTHING in my mouth.

Today, day five, I ordered a diet lemonade (Minute Maid) at lunch and it tasted so good!!!  I've only had about four oz of it but I can't wait to fini****  I forgot and used a straw so that hurt and was a minor setback.

I too am worried about not liking water anymore.  I think it's truly unlikely and will just take time.

Lady Lithia
on 6/24/12 5:48 am
I like water fine.... it just doesn't like me.... and I tolerated it fine in the first week postop, but then I stopped being able to handle more than a couple of ounces. If civilization as we know it disintigrates, I'd probably die of dehydration if I didnt' find a ready source of something to turn teh water acid.

My protein shakes are always made with 24 oz of water, and I have four or five a day. I've gotten so used to the flavor that I now like it. I generally only make 3 full scoop shakes, and then it's half scoop the rest of the day.

poet_kelly
on 6/24/12 5:51 am - OH
How did you get a bunch of ice chips on day one if you weren't supposed to be consuming them?  You were in the hospital, right?  Did you have a family member bring them to you?  And the staff hadn't told you not to have them bring you stuff?  I"m just curious about how that happened.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cathey9338
on 6/24/12 6:26 am - Woodbridge, VA
RNY on 06/19/12 with
The staff brought them but they were very slow to bring them.  I was getting so frustrated.  It was the day one nurse that told me I wasn't supposed to have any between my surgery and my upper GI.  It was their fault and shame on them for not managing my expectations accordingly.  Maybe they just assumed I knew?!

Most Active