Revision possibly??

dkennedy89
on 6/28/12 2:04 pm - Southfield, MI
Hello everyone,  I originally had the sleeve done in Oct 2011.  Ive been sick almost the entire time and still am now. Ive had test after test done and they cant find nothing wrong.My doctor said the only thing it might be is the sleeve is to narrow. The only fix is a bypass.  I just wanted to get your guys opinions.
Dave Chambers
on 6/28/12 2:12 pm - Mira Loma, CA

You might get a 2nd opinion on this.  "Sleeve too narrow"???   Was this your sleeve surgeon comment, or a 2nd opinion already.  With the amount of stomach removed with the sleeve surgery, the RNY is likely your only option, if in fact, the sleeve is "too narrow". DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/28/12 4:28 pm - OH
 Just wondering if you know how a RNY would help, since the remnant stomach is removed when they do the sleeve?  I don't understand how creating a pouch out of a sleeve that is already too narrow and/or doing an intestinal bypass would help...

(Keeping the remnant stomach was one of the reasons that I decided to have the RNY not the DS).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JaneJetson
on 6/28/12 2:52 pm
RNY on 05/07/12
 Wow, was that what the surgeon who did the Sleeve said? Or did he explain how the Sleeve came to be too narrow?  You need to get a second opinion for sure.  That is incredibly a long time to be sick.  I wish you the best!  Jane 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/28/12 4:24 pm - OH
If the sleeve is too narrow, how is eliminating part of it to create a pouch that is even smaller (if that is part of the proposal) going to help?!?  How would bypassing part of your intestine help?!?

Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks of the sleeve and DS is that, since they remove the remnant stomach, your options are limited if there is a problem.  (At least with the RNY the remnant stomach is still there if you ever need it for some reason.)

Definitely get a second opinion if you have not already and make sure that you understand how what they are proposing to do is going to address the issues you are having.  I would not trust a surgeon who cannot explain it so that you can understand what will happen and how it will help.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

RPick67
on 6/28/12 7:15 pm
VSG on 06/11/13
I'm wondering what you mean by "sick".  Sick as in sick to your stomach.  Do you take an acid reducer such as pepsid?  From what I've read the sleeve surgery has caused cronic acid reflux problems in some people who before the surgery didn't have the problem.  You weren't specific about what your sickness is, but I know if you have major GERD problems pre-op they would recommend for you to have the gastric bypass over the sleeve.  Sorry to hear you've been sick for so long.  I hope you find a solution to remedy your illness.

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/12 8:59 pm
RNY on 05/07/12
I am wondering what you mean by sick as well. I also agree a second opinion is needed. I had a lapband and my RNY revision was in May. I will say that I do not regret my choices and am very happy with my revision, but there are risks involved in revision. Please make you you understand what this mean completely. My surgeon was very thorough explaining the conversion, what would be done, the risks involved, was I prepared for those risks, and then in surgery one came up that was completely unexpected. Best of luck!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 146 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 248 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 302 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views