Got my bloodwork- could use some advice.

BellaSaid35
on 6/28/12 7:32 am, edited 6/28/12 7:44 am
 Iron-  42
B12-  521
Ferritin-27
Calcium-9.4
Protein 6.7

The nurse said everything looked "okay". However, my iron levels were at the very lowest range of normal. I have tripled my iron since, and feel better.

I have no clue if the other things are good or not. I feel okay. I am a little tired, but otherwise fine.

So vitamin gurus, anything I should increase?

Eta- hemoglobin was 14.2 

Rny 2.14.12

hedrider
on 6/28/12 7:54 am - Midlothian, TX
These are just my opinions and not medical judgement or recommendations. 

You upped your iron, so that's good.  What kind is it?   The lower the ferritin level, even when it's in the "normal" range, the more likely it is that you do not have enough iron.  The range is 12-150.  You are in the lower normal range.

B12 is low, even though it is considered "normal".  How much are you taking sublingually?

Protein is low normal range as well.  How much do you get a day?

Hemoglobin looks fine.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/28/12 7:56 am

They are "normal" but B12 is just barely... and ferritin - that is your iron "saving account" - you want it at least 50 -- more the better... over 100 to 150 would be nice. 
Ferritin below 50 - some people may have iron deficiencies symptoms, and iron can drop in no time.
i.e. last year my iron was really low - I got infusions. I was able to get it with infusions to 90... 6 months later I am sitting at 30.... and that with no period and not surgeries in between. On a good note - my body made some blood cells from it (RBC increased by 20%), so that is good. But I may need another iron infusion soon. 
What was the ferritin before ?  last time you checked? If that dropped - you need more iron.

B12
- I get very tired when my B12 drops that low. I feel best with my B12 more than 800.... and closer to 1000...

Calcium looks good - but without PTH and D - that does not really tells if you take enough or your body is taking it from your bones.

Protein - you do not want to drop lower than that. My goal is to have that in 7's ... but I can't absorb enough...
Hemoglobin looks good.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 6/28/12 7:57 am - OH
Yeah, the iron and ferritin are both low so increasing that is good.

Your B12 is low.  Below 550 people usually get tired and depressed.  Ideally it would be around 1000.

The calcium is fine.

The protein is a bit low - ideally it would be at least 7.0.

How was your vitamin D?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.