One Year Out: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

JenniferER
on 6/28/12 11:29 pm - MI
Hello,

I have been lurking without posting for several months now but I want to begin by thanking you all for your support, strength, and stories.  I have gained so much from everything you all have shared.

Today is my surgiversary from my VSG (which was revised to a RNY on 10/26/11).  This has been the most complicated, good, and bad year of my life.  I had many many complications some of which I still have including a tempermental marginal ulcer, open wounds (yes still--with weekly visits to the wound care center), and unspecified severe abdomanal pain.

On the other hand, I have lost 142 lbs. I am going to try to attach photos but if I can't, they are in my profile.  I have gone from a 4x or 5x top to a XL or L and a 34 dress to a 16 (probably would be a 14 without the bat wings LOL)

I am no longer diabetic.  I was on 2000 mg of metformin daily and my A1C was rapidly rising from lack of compliance with the diabetic diet.  I now take nothing and my last A1C was 5.1 and yesterday's fasting blood sugar was 72.  My blood pressure was barely controlled at 140/90 with medication.  I am now off meds and my pressure last week was 110/80.  My cholesterol was high enough to need meds. Now it is normal.

Over the year I lost my job because I was (and still am) unable to work. I spent 41 nights in the hospital (not consecutive). I had 5 picc lines, was on IV nutrition for a couple of months, needed blood transfusions, developed a severe infection, had a gazillion (or so it seems) endoscopies and on and on.

So would I do it again?  Even with the complications I have to say yes.  I have had amazing medical care.  My surgeon, internist, gastro, and wound doc have been incredible.  I have learned what great support I have from family and friends.  I can walk and move freely. I don't have to worry about fitting into a seat or breaking someone's furniture.  Most important, I did this with my husband who was also SMO.  He is an amazing man, brilliant professional, and the kindest soul I know.  He could also barely walk 5 steps without huffing and puffing.  He would not have done this surgery alone and I KNOW it saved his life.  The man who couldn't walk at all can now bike for over an hour, walks for fun and has lost 175 lbs.  He (and we) truly has a new lease on life.

To those considering surgery, it is worth it.  If I can say that with everything I have been through, how much more is it true for most people who have nowhere near my complications.

I wish everyone good health and good choices!  Remember to look at my profile for the dramatic pics.

Jennifer ER   VSG 6/29/11  RNY 10/26/11   

Eliza55
on 6/28/12 11:36 pm - PA
Thanks for sharing your story - all of it. 
Good luck, and speedy healing for the rest of your issues.

Take Care
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Kay L.
on 6/28/12 11:47 pm - N., AL
What a story! I'm sorry you have had such a rough time of it. I believe your positive attitude has brought you this far. It's quite a lot to say that after all of it, you still have no regrets.

Take care and stay strong!
christinalee
on 6/29/12 12:15 am - At Home in, NH
Your stories are inspirational! Even with the strife during the past year, you have such a great outlook! Here's to your continually improving health and much success!

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

karenp8
on 6/29/12 12:40 am - Brighton, IL
Thank you so much for posting this. I have not had surgery yet but this was such an encouragement to me. I can't wait to start my new healthy life!
JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/29/12 1:50 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
Thank you for posting your story
May I ask why you converted from VSG to RNY ?
were the complications from RNY?
and did hour husband have VSG or RNY ?
My husband is "thinking" about surgery ...suuuure , he is one of those guys :)
I hope you recover soon and can live your healthy life !!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

JenniferER
on 6/29/12 4:03 am - MI
I converted to the RNY because I developed such horrible reflux and nausea after the VSG that I could not eat. That is why I was on the IV nutrition.  I did not want to revise but  I was desperate.  My husband had the VSG with no complications.  My RNY complications were nausea, ulcer, and continued poor healing of wounds along with anemia and some absorbtion challenges and an enlarged spleen.  Honestly, some of those might have come about because I was so weak when he did the RNY. I had been in the hospital for days before with a picc line infection.  I have had trouble meeting calorie goals since the beginning.  I went over 6 months without getting to 400 calories a day.  For the last 2 months, thank God, I have been able to get to 800-1000 calories which makes a huge difference in how I feel.

april89love
on 6/29/12 2:33 am - NC
You guys look great!! Awesome story! Keep up the good work!!

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

JenniferER
on 6/29/12 4:04 am - MI
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and support!