This might be a silly question

tgrlnh
on 7/1/12 11:04 am
RNY on 06/05/12
My NUT said that drinking a protein shake was considered eating so to wait 30 min before and after to drink water but what if I add a shake to my meal, is it still considered part of a meal or is it instead a liquid?  Also when did everyone start eatinf Peanut butter beacause I really need something different to eat.

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

poet_kelly
on 7/1/12 11:10 am - OH
What do you mean adding a shake to your meal?  You should not drink any liquid, including  a protein shake, while eating solid food.

There is not reason not to drink right up until the time you start to eat.  And there is no reason not to drink something else right after a protein shake.  The reason for waiting to drink after eating solid food is because liquids of any kind wash food out of your pouch and then you'll get hungry too soon.  But a protein shake is a liquid so it does not stay in your pouch anyway.  So there is no reason to wait before you drink something else.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Calla Lily
on 7/1/12 11:38 am
RNY on 01/23/12
 Kelly, I like your advice too. My nut said to stop drinking 30 min before eating and 30 min after eating, but I will ask her if I can drink right up until a meal because what you say makes sense, and this would also help me get more fluid in my day. I totally understand the 30 min wait after, but always questioned the 30 min before.

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

Lady Lithia
on 7/1/12 1:24 pm
I didn't understand the 30 minutes before rule until about three years out, then finally it occurred to me. SOME limited number of folks have issues with liquids. For THOSE folks, the swelling in the pouch makes liquids difficult and it doesn't drain fast from teh pouch. For THOSE folks it makes sense not to fill up on liquids prior to trying to eat.

BUT if liquid doesn't stay in your pouch (which is true for most folks, especially when fully healed from surgery) there is NO reason for this rule. (in my opinion). I drank right up to solid meals starting two months postup when I started solid meals.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Kaoz789
on 7/1/12 6:17 pm
 Yeah!

Some of us have to "work" to choke down our 4 measley cups of water a day. Then while it trickles out, spaz over the fact that drinking 1/2 a cup may prevent you from being able to eat all the food you 'have' to get through before the day ends ;)  

Hahaha.

Im just jealous that some people are able to combine a protein drink with a meal. The darn drinks can take up to an 1 1/2 hour to get through (8-12 oz) and up to 4 hours if it's a thicker smoothie protein (tropical smoothie).

Also, if you're one of the slow people, the sensation of the liquid layers above the chewed food in the pouch can make ya sick as heck when it backs up, on account that you can't 'tell' that your meal from 6 hours prior hasn't passed through yet, and you just over filled your pouch... 

Lulz.. If one is a slow trilkler, one is well aware that the 30 min rule b4 and after is sometimes too little time. 

Cheers!

tgrlnh
on 7/1/12 11:14 am
RNY on 06/05/12
Thanks Kelly.  I always look forward to your advice.

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

Dave Chambers
on 7/1/12 12:05 pm - Mira Loma, CA
The issue of not drinking with meals is one of the hardest things to do as post ops. You've had a lifetime of habits that include eating and drinking together.  Your pouch is small. Drinking fluids in conjunction with the small amount of food in your pouch = food gets washed out of pouch without getting the nutrition from your solid foods.  Saw a demo online:  Tools were a clear glass to simulate digestive track past pouch, funnel to simulate restriction of pouch, and a glass of water.  Applesauce was poured into funnel, and applesauce dripped slowly into the pouch = like eating slowly with your pouch.  Pour a little water out of the glass to simulate taking a few sips, and the drip gets faster.  Pour in 3 oz or so water and the funnel empties very fast, showing that the food gets washed out of the pouch.  Convinced me with this simple demo. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Lady Lithia
on 7/1/12 1:18 pm
I don't count a protein shake as a meal. That's all I drink. It's liquid so I treat it as liquid

BWB
on 7/1/12 1:23 pm
I was always told that a shake was to be counted as part of our liquids.

Lady Lithia
on 7/1/12 1:24 pm
You can't add a shake to a solid meal...that's combining liquids with solids and is a no-no.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 343 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 164 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 265 views