Leg Numbness Now in Arms too!

chatterpam
on 7/2/12 1:44 am - PA
(I am a year out)  I wrote awhile ago about numbness in my left leg that is getting progressively worse.  This numbness and tingling is now starting in my arm (same side).  Many people posted and told me that it was vitamins and to ask my doctor.  I had my labs done and they said my vitamin levels were fine, except D3, which they gave me an RX for the wrong type of D (the oil based one).  I am now taking 5,000 IU of dry D3 per day (though I have no idea how much I am supposed to be taking.)

Some of you mentioned B12 and B6 as well - but to ask the doctor about doseages.  The problem is - they see that the labs are OK for those vitamins so they don't reccommend taking additional vitamins.

I am so frustrated!  I have been in tears all day.  I understood that I would have to take vitamins for the rest of my life but I didn't know about this game of Russian Roulette I feel like I am playing with them! 

Sorry for the rant... I amupset and afraid that something worse is going to happen or that I am going to end up with permanent nerve damage.

jmjm55077
on 7/2/12 1:58 am - MN
Maybe it's not related to the WLS...go see your regular doctor...lots of things can cause tingling and numbness besides vitamin shortages...Let a doctor check everything out...and good luck!
jane   

LJ1972
on 7/2/12 2:13 am - FL
I met a park ranger where I camp who had WLS. He started having numbness in his arm then his leg, then slurring of speech. His WLS ran labs and said it was all good. The guy went to my surgeon who ran an indepth vitamin panel including some normally excluded B vitamins, found a deficiency, gave the guy meds and he is ok now - but on a lifetime of meds + his normal vitamins. If your surgeon won't run the full panel, find someone who will.
jazzycatz
on 7/2/12 2:24 am - Joppa, MD
I feel silly asking this but since you didn't mention it...have you seen a neurologist yet?

RPick67
on 7/2/12 2:27 am
VSG on 06/11/13

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

RPick67
on 7/2/12 2:31 am
VSG on 06/11/13
The article I mentioned above agrees with what LJ1972 said.  You could have a micronutrient deficiency that is not normally ordered by your PCP.

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

chatterpam
on 7/2/12 2:45 am - PA
Thanks for that article!  I am going to study more closely and make sure all of these things are tested in my next labs.
RPick67
on 7/2/12 2:33 am
VSG on 06/11/13
poet_kelly
on 7/2/12 3:07 am - OH
What was your B12 level?

What does the doc think might be causing the numbness?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

chatterpam
on 7/2/12 3:57 am - PA
She thought it might be a pinched nerve when it was in my leg... now that it's starting in my arm she's suggesting a neurologist.  But I am also having issues with my short term memory... this isn't looking like anything neuropic to me...

I just got off the phone with my nut and she is convinced it is a B12 and D3 deficiency.  Put a call into the Dr (who isn't there today)... the PA was supposed to call me but of course she left before she did.

I am SOOOOOOOO frustrated.
Most Active
Recent Topics