Losing too much!

qcshannonleigh
on 7/8/12 9:27 am, edited 7/8/12 9:33 am - Charlotte, NC
I had a hiatal hernia repair and gastric bypass in December 2009.  I was a little over 240 lbs.  I stedily lost weight.  My problem is that my goal was 130.  My doctors goal was 140 or so for me.  (I am 5' 7".  However, I am now a size 2 and down to 107 lbs.  I cant stop losing.  I have been to a dietician who has me eating carbs, fats, junks food etc to try and pile on the lbs and its not working.  I cant seem to put the weight back on.  Anyone ever had this issue?  The doc also told me I was too worried about protein shakes, my numbers are good and I need more calories (like 2000 a day).... any advice?

poet_kelly
on 7/8/12 9:43 am - OH
The dietician has you eating junk food to try to gain weight?  Um, find a dietician that knows something about RNY and just good nutrition.  You need calories, yeah.  But not from junk.  From protein, whole grains, stuff like that.

How many calories are you getting in a day?  How much protein?  A protein shake is an easy way to add healthy calories.

Are you using whole milk, full fat cheese, stuff like that?  What about calorie dense foods like nuts?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

qcshannonleigh
on 7/8/12 9:56 am - Charlotte, NC
He is a bariatric doctor.  I know that sounded bad, but he basically said I was worrying too mmuch about my protein shakes and not enough about carlories and to start eating ice cream every night etc.  I am doing atleast 2 shakes a day - my protein is always over 70-80 min.  My calories were probably a little low as I was not counting them as well but probably closer to 1700 and he said they need to be closer to 2000.  I'm tracking them on fitnesss pal now.  I am using whole milk, etc... I even add full fat pnut butter to shakes for extra lil bit of fat.
poet_kelly
on 7/8/12 10:00 am - OH
I don't understand why he thinks it would be better to eat 200 calories worth or ice cream than to drink a 200 calorie protein shake.  That just doesn't make sense to me.  I don't know why a doctor would think calories from sugar and other junk were better than healthy calories from things like protein.

What protein powder are you using?  Some are higher in calories than others.  There are also some protein bars that are very high in calories.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

qcshannonleigh
on 7/8/12 10:12 am - Charlotte, NC
who knows..... he is not the surgeon that I originally saw - I did not like him, so I have had I tough go round.  I have also developed POTS since surgery. 

As far as proteins, I use several kinds and I also add a banana, peanut butter or choc powder even when they are flavorered to add a little extra cal. also.
poet_kelly
on 7/8/12 10:31 am - OH
I'm trying to think of other ways to increase calories.

You can add unflavored protein powder to lots of foods, which would increase the calories.  You can add cheese to lots of things, which would increase calories.  Do you drink milk?  You could get some of your calories in fluids.

qcshannonleigh
on 7/8/12 10:37 am - Charlotte, NC
I dont drink milk  :(, but  i have been drinking vitamin water to get in some liquid calories in between shakes.....
thanks Kelly
Zeigled
on 7/8/12 10:30 am - Parkton, MD
I would start tracking your food/calories.  If you are eating enough calories for your height and exercise routine, you should get a complete physical from your GP.  You should rule out medical issues that could be causing the problem.  Other things can cause weight loss - you could have a hyperactive thyroid for example.  If you aren't eating enough calories - I would consider adding in small meals between meals - a protein shake, whole wheat crackers with peanut butter or cheese, lentil salad with some feta cheese, greek yogurt, etc. You can get some good quality calories that won't add to your fat or sugar levels.
HW 357 SW 341   

qcshannonleigh
on 7/8/12 10:34 am - Charlotte, NC
As I told Kelly I am using Fitness Pal t track eveything.  Sorry, I also didnt mention, they took 13 vials of blood and checked my thyroid.  My blood levels all checked out fine.  The only think I am wtg on is an andrenal gland one.  My thyroid was good though. Thanks.
hedrider
on 7/8/12 10:35 am - Midlothian, TX
 Have you looked into the protein powders that are intended for weight gain?  There are some that are very good nutrition wise, you just have to read the labels.

Many small meals, two hours apart, complex carbohydrates, etc... you want to choose good calories, not just junk and ice cream (what kind of surgeon and nutritionist would recommend that?)
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.