Worried about not eating pre op

amybob
on 7/10/12 9:01 am
I have not been given a date yet for my surgery. Just starting to meet for councelling and medical appointments. I am worried about the 2-3 weeks pre-op where all you can have is the opti fast. How hard was this for everyone? I'm also worried about not being able to have coffee and diet pop. But I know I can overcome this, surgery is much more important.
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/12 9:29 am
RNY on 04/18/12
I can't comment on the Optifast diet because my surgeon didn't require it.  I weaned myself off of caffeinated coffee and all sodas several months prior to surgery.  I was a huge coffee drinker, so it took me some time to wean off without caffeine withdrawal.  

You can do it.  :) 
wendydettmer
on 7/10/12 9:31 am - Rochester, NY
i did not have a preop liquid diet, so that I do not know.

but - i had a soda the day before surgery, and haven't had one since. i went cold turkey. i feel about a thousand times better without caffiene in my system, it's amazing.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Shaping_my_destiny
on 7/10/12 9:39 am - Canada
RNY on 07/25/12
Hi Amy,

I have been on the optifast diet for almost 2 weeks now with about 1 more week to go. I won't lie, it's definitely one of the more challenging things I've had to do in my life but the fact that I've already lost 14lbs is definitely an incentive for me to keep on going. The first day or two is the hardest and then after that it becomes more or less routine, kinda like brushing your teeth. The thing I find the hardest is when I have to handle or prepare food  for my son, otherwise just sitting with people who are eating or smelling it doesn't bother me as much. I totally understand your concerns about the coffee and pop, I use to consume lots of both daily! The good thing is you can still drink decaf coffee (just pretend it's the real thing!) and replace the diet pop with Crystal Light. I also recommend using as many of the allowable liquids as possible. The sugar free jello and popsicles really saved me. The good thing is I hardly ever get hungry now, just when it comes time to have the next shake. Sometimes I even find it hard to have all 4 shakes in a day. All in all it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Just try not to think about it much, do other things that you enjoy, and definitely don't cheat...that will just make you miss food that much more and you'll be proud of yourself for sticking to it! Hope this helps and good luck!!
Most Active
Recent Topics