questions for my fellow open rny patients?

M. B
on 7/13/12 10:13 am
RNY on 07/13/12
 surgery went great.. i was in my own room by 9 this morning...i feel completley fine as long as im perfectly still, but if i move i have the usual burning painful inscision site (its about 6 inches long) 
anyways the nurses came in.and said i could walk when i felt like it... im just not sure that im ready... think if i just get up and do it i.will surprise myself?
poet_kelly
on 7/13/12 10:16 am - OH
I'm surprised they have not had you up walking yet.  I got to my room around noon and was up walking by 2:00 pm, I think.

yeah, you should get up and do it.  The sooner you do, the easier it will be.  And it will help you feel better, honestly.  You don't have to walk far.  Don't get up by yourself, have a nurse there with you.  Just walk to the bathroom and back to the bed if you don't want to go far. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Zeigled
on 7/13/12 11:48 am - Parkton, MD
For me the walking wasn't bad - getting up was tough.  I would ask for some pain med about 20 min before you want to get up.  I had quite a bit of pain with bending and using the abs.
HW 357 SW 341   

moviechick00
on 7/13/12 1:45 pm
Revision on 05/17/12
 Glad to hear your surgery went great.  The nurses that work the unit for Dr Warnock are great!!  I was up and walking just as soon as I was able to.  Heck I wouldn't let them help me up I had to do it myself.  I had pelvic phyiscal therapy a few years back and remembered how to roll myself out of bed the way the physical therapist taught me.  I was pretty much trying to race myself each time I got up to walk.  Did you have the protein hot chocolate yet?  YUMMY!!  I had a few sipps of that after my surgery felt wonderful to have something warm.

hw 255 Realize band 2/10 lw 206 (slipped/moved caused lots of pain)
weight pre-op 225 revision RNY 5/17/12
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/13/12 1:49 pm - OH
you NEED to be up and walking even with an open incision.  Yes, it hurts, but you do NOT want to have to deal with a blood clot because those can have lifetime consequences!  I am surprised that they have not insisted that you get up and walk.  I had to walk every 3 hours starting 6 hours after surgery.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cherokeesage
on 7/13/12 3:05 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Dr Warnock's staff had me up and walking so I hope you have walked since posting this.  It is unusual that you haven't.  Once I started walking the compression machine was taken off my legs.  I tried to walk on the hour but didn't make it every hour the first day because I felt really weak.  If you are out of town and plan to stay a couple of days at the Rathberger, ask for nausea meds if you think you will need them for your return trip home.  I was a given a cream to rub on my wrist.  The hall at the Rathberger is wonderful for walking.  Also, call ahead or have someone call to make sure you have a recliner in the room.  I slept in a recliner for a few days because it was easier to get out of.  Congrats on your surgery and best wishes.  Warnock's staff is wonderful.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Dot T.
on 7/13/12 3:21 pm - Bartlesville, OK
My RNY wasn't open, but I have had two other open abdominal surgeries.  Yes, I agree that the sooner you get up and walk, the better.  It will help your blood circulate, help you pass gas, help your bowels (even though they are pretty much empty)...  More benefits than you know!

Good luck
Dot

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 349 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 305 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?