Tzatziki recipe

Tiffani A.
on 7/23/12 11:26 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
 Today i was maing some a,d i remembered that a while back, I had commented on a post and offed someone a recipe for tzatziki. I'm embarrassed to say that I had a little drama go on here and I forgot to post it. Sorry for posting it in the forum, but I hope it gets to the person I promised it to.

Its a simple recipe slightly modified from the Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies cookbook. The only change I made is I use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream as the book suggested. 

1/2 medium cucumber, grated
1/2 cup 0% greek yogurt 
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

After the cucumber is greated, squeeze out the moisture by placing it in a strainer and pressing against it with the back of a large spoon. Discard the liquid.

In a medium bowl, mix together the cucumber, yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, oil and salt.

I think it tastes best if you let it sit in the fridge over night. Also I've seen some recipes that add in a little grated onion, but I've never tried it.

Again I'm so sorry odor the delay! Enjoy.
hedrider
on 7/24/12 12:04 am - Midlothian, TX
 Mmmmm.  It might have been me, because I was moaning about not being able to find any in the 4 or 5 stores I was looking in.  If it wasn't, I'll still take it!  :)
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Tiffani A.
on 7/24/12 8:01 am - Virginia Beach, VA
 Yes! I think it was you. I'm sorry it took so long.
thepromises
on 7/24/12 12:20 am
RNY on 01/03/12 with
 ooh, i love tzatziki! One thing i add to mine is a little bit of fresh mint. It adds something special that most tzazikis don't have. Just a thought.

oh, and i completely second using the greek yogurt! I've actually switched into using greek yogurt instead of sour cream for everything. In tacos, my family uses it on potatoes (not me... no potatoes here!) and just so great. 

Marie A.
on 7/24/12 1:03 am
 I've never tasted it...but it sounds yummy!  I will have to try this

~Marie

It's not who you are that holds you back...
It's who you THINK your NOT!

highest weight = 315     pre-op weight = 290     current weight = 145

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/24/12 2:07 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Mmm. Except for the garlic, and with mint, it is just like raitha, which is Indian. I'm going to try this Greek version. Do you eat it with anything? It sounds like it's meant to be eaten with pita bread. Is there a particular veg it's good with?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/24/12 2:36 am - OH
I eat it with the obvious veggie... cucumber slices!  It is also wonderful over grilled chicken...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tiffani A.
on 7/24/12 8:04 am - Virginia Beach, VA
 I love it with cucumbers too. Ive grilled chicken in a lemon marinade and it's good on that too. On the WLS cookbook it accompanies a recipe for Greek lamb meatballs. I changed it to ground turkey, but I love them too.
I think tzatziki is traditionally eaten with pita bread.
I could probably eat tzatziki with a spoon, I love it that much.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/24/12 2:33 am - OH
I have a recipe that I actually got from a lady we met when we were in Greece several years ago, and it called for yogurt.  I love it and cannot imagine it tasting good with sour cream!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/24/12 2:47 am
I make that all the time.
My modification: 
I chopped fresh dill into mine.
I also grate only the outside part of cucumber - and eat the seeds in the salad.  Putting little bit of salt on cucumber - and let it stand for 10-15 min, then staraining - allows for more watr to drain. I drink teh cucumber water. or use that for my face - as a mask...
I also use full fat or  2% greek yogurt instead the oil.  If i use oil with my FF yogurt - then i use the flax oil.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 434 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 163 views
Recent Topics