Addiction - I just switched from food to alcohol?!

Mia E.
on 7/25/12 8:40 am, edited 7/25/12 8:43 am - HI
Ok, I have heard of addiction swapping but I am amazed at how I allowed this to creep into my life.  Alcoholism runs in my family and I have always enjoyed coctails and parties.  I drank on occasion prior to surgery and usually not more than 2 as I used to get really bad headaches.

After surgery and about the time I was within just a few pound of goal weight, I  stared becoming very social.  My husband and I started accepting invites for parties, camping weekends with friends, beach parties and happy hour dates.  I discovered that I could drink without hangover, no more headaches and i couldd get that buzz feeling with just a few sips.  Those sips turned into multiple drinks per day.  Over a period of a year, I started drinking almost nightly, then daily and nightly and to the point sometimes I would wake up the next day with blacked out periods of time from the day before.

Oh, did I mention that I no longer get those headaches that kept me from having too much back in my BIG days?  My life went from a fat girl who was miserable to a skinny party mama who is having way too much fun, except now I am starting to worry about myself.  When I try to cut back, I want to eat and find myself full of anxiety.   I am afraid for what is next.  Can I control this?

Any good forums or groups for those of us that have transferred their addictions?   Much love and Aloha
Mia
  Kauai Girl.....

Lady Lithia
on 7/25/12 8:56 am
Mia, I know that others will offer suggestions of places to get help. I'm not any good for that. *hugs* you deserve a medal for sharing with us your story. I hope you find the help you need. It is stories like yours that make me encourage people to not even have that one first sip. I just don't think it's worth it. YOU know it isn't.

You have the courage to share, I think that means you have the courage to overcome.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Mia E.
on 7/25/12 1:29 pm - HI
Aloha Lady L - working to find my courage to be real
  Kauai Girl.....

MrsLitch
on 7/25/12 9:29 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
The first step is admitting... now go find a local AA meeting and check it out. See if that is something that will help you beat this addiction. Also I'd suggest going to a therapist at the same time so it doesn't cross addict back to food or something worse. Trust me I'm 20 years clean off much worse then ****tails. It can be done!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Mia E.
on 7/25/12 1:28 pm - HI
Thank you taking the time to comment and encourage
  Kauai Girl.....

M M
on 7/25/12 10:12 am
 Are you on Facebook?

I have a group for those dealing with addiction.
Mia E.
on 7/25/12 1:15 pm - HI
I just signed up for an account, so I can connect on Facebook.  I will check it out.
  Kauai Girl.....

Trish C.
on 7/25/12 1:16 pm - Waynesburg, PA
RNY on 10/11/12
Mia,

I am in a relationship with a man whom I love more than life itself, and he too is addicted to alcohol. He had RNY in 2004, and had been sober from alcohol for about 7 years. He weighed 800 lbs going into surgery and got down to 375 in just the first year. Dealing with the sudden body changes and feelings he had been dealing with his whole life, I believe was too much to handle. Like you, he started wanting to go out with friends and that led to drinking only when he went out. Then he started drinking at friends homes. I never wanted any type of alcohol in my life or around my kids, so it was understood it was to be ingested out of the house. Unfortunately, that didn't last and I  have basically become an enabler. He too can drink and it not affect him in any way. It used to be a few and he would feel buzzed. Now, he can drink a case of beer at a time and feel nothing. He does see someone, but it's not enough. he refuses to go to AA and has been in treatment 3 seperate times and left on his own all 3 times without finishing. i guess I am trying to tell you that you are not alone and talking to others will give you some sanity. i know it does for my BF, he does believe that he will stop, I guess waiting for that rock bottom to come like it did with weight. He is also afraid of going back to eating if he quits drinking. I am going to have surgery in October and will never touch a drop of alcohol! I have seen the damage that it can do. Please do whatever you can to get a handle on this. Add me, if you would like someone to talk to. *hugs*

HW 365   SW 317

Mia E.
on 7/25/12 1:27 pm - HI
Thank you Tri**** is hard for sure.  I know I haven't hit a "bottom" so to speak yet and I am stubborn too.  I have never tried treatment for any type of addiction, including food.  I always swore that I was not an addict and always felt in control.  I am not sure what I am at this point, except open and willing to share.  Thanks for the hug
  Kauai Girl.....

lynnc99
on 7/25/12 10:34 pm
There is a transfer addictions board on OH. I know several people who have dealt with post surgery alcoholism and all have had great success with AA.

Bestof luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics