B12

wmamey
on 7/25/12 6:57 am
RNY on 06/18/12
Does anyone know which is better for RNY -  sublingual LIQUID B12 or the sublingual tablet B12?

poet_kelly
on 7/25/12 7:00 am - OH
Either one.  It's just a matter of personal preference.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Pam T.
on 7/25/12 7:02 am - Saginaw, MI
 It doesn't matter. Whichever works for your body is fine. B12 is one of those vitamins that you'll need to play around with dosing and brands until you find out which one works best to keep your levels up in the 1200-1500 range. In my first year post-op I changed my dosing 4 times until I got it right. So work closely with your doctor on your lab results. 

So either sublingual version is fine. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/12 7:08 am
Personally, I think the tablets are better. My reasoning is that if they sit under your tongue longer, they should absorb better. Liquid doesn't get the same chance to be absorbed.
Dee.spunk
on 7/25/12 7:50 am - Sacramento, CA
We were told the tablets are better cause they stay under the younger where they get absorbed. The liquid is hard to keep under the tounge.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Leanne43
on 7/25/12 7:54 am - , Canada
RNY on 06/04/12
i  like the sublingual B12 tablet you just have to put it under your tounge and it dissolves pretty quickly and there tiny.

mikerccie
on 7/25/12 8:10 am
RNY on 02/28/12
 My Doctor gave me prescriptions for injectable. I do it once a month at home. 

chatterpam
on 7/25/12 8:15 am - PA
I do the tablets and inject twice monthly... you do NOT want your B12 going low... trust me.

avidreader
on 7/25/12 10:35 am - Cary, NC
Speaking of B12 - my PCP freaks out when it's above the max range for a normal person - I keep telling him 1200 is not too high for and RNYer but he still keeps telling me to cut back on the B12, and I keep smiling.  Guess I will need to have my Bariatri Surgeon's office write a note (shades of elementary school) saying it's ok for my B12 levels to be that high.

Anyone else have this problem with their PCP or general med doc?

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
poet_kelly
on 7/25/12 10:39 am - OH
1200 is OK for anyone, not just RNY folks.

You could have your surgeon write him a note.  You could show him this article (and you can find many more) that says B12 toxicity is almost unknown and there is no upper limit to how much a person can safely take.  women.emedtv.com/vitamin-b12/vitamin-b12-toxicity.html  Or you can just thank him for his advice and take the amount you feel is appropriate for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 334 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 372 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 236 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics