How long did it take you to love your RNY?

MLJ2012
on 7/31/12 7:57 pm - MA
I am a little over a week post-op..no buyer's remorse here. I am glad I actually get to eat real food now and I am more thoughtful about my choices. I have been lucky and have had no complications/issues with my RNY..almost feels like I didn't have anything done at all. I have a patience problem so it is difficult to not advance the stages too quickly for me.
NHPOD9
on 7/31/12 8:26 pm
 I never had buyer's remorse, but I truly didn't appreciate my RNY until I was at least 5 months out.  I practically lived on applesauce, cottage cheese, and yogurt until then.  

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

dasie
on 7/31/12 8:28 pm

I struggled too, but I was so thankful for the surgery that I never allowed myself to feel anything but gratitude.  A friend warned me before hand that it was all about attitude.  I kept that thought front and center - especially for the first several months when I could not find a shake I could tolerate, was lactose intolerant and never was able to complete the pureed stage.  I had to stay on liquids for a longer period of time.   I kept telling myself it would get better because there were thousands who had gone before me and many on this site who could testify to that fact.

I know it is challenging now, but take it one day at a time, one moment at a time, one supplement at a time, and simply try to do your best.  I fell short in getting my protein, supplements and liquids, but I woke up each day vowing to do my best.  I shared my struggles with my surgeon, and he was wonderful.  He simply told me it everything would line out.

Before you know it you will be loving your RNY too!

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 7/31/12 8:56 pm
I think it gets easier as you advance food stages.  There are challenges with each stage as well but with each step your life becomes more "normal".  I never had buyers remorse but I look back at the first month or so and remember how hard it was now but it is really a distant memory.

Winnie

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/12 10:29 pm - waukesha, WI
one week.  1st week was a mother F from hell.  It get so much better, 
Laura in Texas
on 7/31/12 10:43 pm
It took me a while. I had many tears of remorse the first week. By the end of the first month, I didn't hate it so much. I was exhausted until about the six month mark. At about the six month mark, my energy started to return and I had a handle on my eating routine. I started to like it then and by the end of the first year I loved it. I'm almost 4 years out now and still love it. Hang in there. It gets better, I promise!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

macjuicy
on 7/31/12 11:11 pm - FL
I was on a rollercoaster of emotions first month, Pain, liquid diet sucked... but as soon as I saw my body changing so fast and was able to fit in nice clothes and feel so good I dont think I could see myself not doing my RNY. Promise it does get better, eventually everything settles and you live your live so much happier

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

jmjm55077
on 7/31/12 11:14 pm - MN
It's been seven months and I still struggle with RNY...I don't think it's really the surgery but the adjustments in lifestyle afterwards (if that makes sense). I miss not being able to eat without thought about anything but how good it made me feel...now I have to think about what, and how I'm eating. I miss the comfort of ice cream (I get sick now if I eat it) and that big bowl of noodles ( not noodles, rice or potatos other than a small spoonful) and I miss buffets! BUT....

I love being healthy, seeing my toes, riding a bike, wearing 'normal' size clothing, having guys notice me, dancing, and looking good! Would I trade it for a good italian meal? NO....this is the new me and I'm happy with it but sometimes when I drive buy the chinese all you can eat...I think of how good egg rolls would be...but then I realize the steering wheel of my car no longers butts up gainst my stomach and smile because the new me doesn't care! Good Luck!
jane   

chatterpam
on 8/1/12 7:28 am - PA
Very well put!  This is much the same way I feel at over a year out...

Sara O.
on 8/1/12 1:07 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
It might take a few weeks but you'll get there. When the pain is gone and you're losing a lot of weight suddenly you'll be in the honeymoon stage and you'll "love" your rny. I know I love mine!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 461 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 471 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 50 views
Recent Topics