Prednisone

graceinpas
on 8/2/12 2:24 pm
 I am taking prednisone twice a day for my diverticulitis.  Does anyone know if it causes weight gain or slows weight loss?

Thanks for any info.

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
Bren0430
on 8/2/12 4:19 pm - Canyon, TX
RNY on 05/11/12
Prednisone makes you hungry. This will cause you to eat too much & gain weight. It also cause stomach ulcers, so make sure you can take it with your bypass. Always eat when you take it & never take it on an empty stomach or you will have stomach pains. When my granddaughter was on it long term she had the "moon face" & gained weight. We set her up with 5 snacks daily all healthy except one which was chocolate & she could eat them all day without asking. Healthy low cal snacks was her lifesaver. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/3/12 1:46 am
prednisone does not casue ulcers. NSAID may cause them. Not steroids.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Bren0430
on 8/4/12 1:45 pm - Canyon, TX
RNY on 05/11/12
I did some research because the patient information I give when I dismiss a patient  from the hospital says it does.

High dose, long term use "Clnical Pharmacology" by Laurenca and Bennet claim that peptic ulceration is a side effect. It is rare but does happen. NSAIDS do cause them. Steroids may cause them."Underwood's Pathology" is another reference. just be careful & take them with food.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/4/12 10:56 pm
O  crap.   And when I tought something may be safe for that. (still is bad for to take steroids).
I do appreciate you let me know. I deal with ulcers (I think- syptoms, and unexplain iron loss) and have to be very careful what I take.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

graceinpas
on 8/2/12 4:44 pm
thank you for your reply! 

Saying good bye to the fat, uncomfortable life I am living and hello to a thinner, more active second half of life!!!!    
Chirs H.
on 8/2/12 5:54 pm - Wichita Falls, TX
I have been taking 20mg of Prednisone a day for a chronic lung disease since November 2011 - I have gained 60 pounds during this time.  One of the other side effects is insomnia - so guess what I do when I can't sleep...you got it  - I eat...
Chris

Don't quit before the miracle...

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/3/12 1:47 am
Steroids create insulin resistance - so evn thoug you eat - you may be hungery and the body may make extra  insulin. to deal with high sugar.
Prednisone may make you gain weight if  you eat too much when on it.  You can't gain weight if you don't eat enough.

Most Active
Recent Topics