4 months out and food doesn't sit well.

jujubee4224
on 8/3/12 3:54 am
RNY on 04/09/12
I am almost 4 months out from my rny and I am noticing that foods do not sit well in my pouch. It is getting bad enough that I am avoiding dense, solid food. I am using alot of greek yogurt, cottage cheese, refried beans,an occasional cheese stick or mashed up sweet potato. I am drinking much of my protein. If I try a solid dense food, my pouch talks back and gives me pain and I can only get down a couple of bites before I feel miserable. This is happening regularly now. I am meeting my protein and fluid goals but not ingesting alot of calories.....between 350-550 a day. My weight loss is pretty steady. Any suggestions as to what is going on. This is getting frustrating.

Mal
on 8/3/12 4:02 am
 Call your surgeon, pain is never a good sign of anything.  I'd call just to get things checked out.  Also, mention your calorie intake per day to them.  I don't think you are eating enough calories.

Are you vomiting a lot?  In my case I needed a EGD to get my pouch opening stretched out because I developed a stricture and nothing could get through.  It did not affect my weightloss and I felt like a human being again, no more vomiting or pain.  I too ate a lot of mushies like you describe when I felt this way.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Mallisa

jujubee4224
on 8/3/12 4:18 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Thank you Mallisa. I vomit about once a week. Usually after trying to eat something that is solid or semi solid. This hasn't stopped me from trying solid foods, even ones that have gone down well before. I know that from previous surgeries that I produce adhesions...it doesn't matter if it is abdominal, from my knee surgeries or elsewhere. I just wonder if that makes me more prone to developing adheasions from this type of surgery. I will make a phone call to my doc even though I hate to drive the 90 minutes to get to his office in Nashville for a check up.

fireflymkz76
on 8/3/12 4:04 am - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12
maybe you are full after just a few bites and that's why you feel miserable if you eat more?  I am sorry you are feeling badly.
check out my blog: http://alwaysl8totheparty.blogspot.com/      
jujubee4224
on 8/3/12 4:13 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Before this started, I was able to eat up to a half cup without problems. I can still eat a fair amount if I take it real slow and it is the consistency of cottage cheese. But this nagging feeling when I try to eat anything really solid is bothering me. I'm just ready to stick to liquids or puree foods.

chatterpam
on 8/3/12 4:17 am - PA
You may have developed a stricture. I would highly recommend calling your doctor. It should be a little easier eating solid things now, not more difficult.

poet_kelly
on 8/3/12 4:43 am - OH
You need to call your surgeon.  You could have a stricture, which is where the opening between the pouch and small intestine gets too small.  It would be kind of unusual to get one for the first time at four months out but it can happen at any time.  And if that's the case, it's important to deal with it  now before it gets worse and you can't even get liquids down.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jujubee4224
on 8/3/12 5:06 am
RNY on 04/09/12
Thanks Kelly. I just called my surgeon's office. I am waiting on a call bac****il then, I am just going to eat soft foods or liquids that I hope will go down well. I will let you know what I find out. I'm pretty sure from the limited conversation I just had with the office that I will be having an EGD.

poet_kelly
on 8/3/12 5:07 am - OH
Yeah, stick to soft foods, protein shakes, whatever sits well until then.  And keep us posted.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 8/3/12 6:27 am
IM there with you, 2 months of Post OP 67 lbs off Just had upper GI all is fine some days im just doing" the yakk hiccup thingy" stricture and other bad things have been ruled out i' m fine weird and no one not  Dr's, and  patients, nurses  techs can answer why after all  the tests come back fine .

I juice greens and eat tofu and lots of re freid beans too

I just take it slow  and eat what can and what will  stay down.

I take Bovine colostrum( heals tummy ) and keep a journal of what can be eaten  some days great others just not great LOL this too shall pass i keep saying
would I change what i did noway Best thing ever !

I eat alot of ginger ginger tea ginger soup it helps the  sick feeling

drink it in a weak tea with some mint  sip all day  helps me maybe you too
feel better and  good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?