Too much protein?

Chelsey H.
on 8/5/12 7:22 am - East Haddam, CT
 Ok I know this must seem crazy to some people who are really struggling post-op but I'm 1 week out and doing great! I've been having a GNC Ready Lean shake first thing and i add some protein powder to it. It's about 16oz so it takes me about 2 hours to drink but has 45g of protein. And then if I add powder (1 scoup= 20g) to yogurt or pudding for later in the day  I'll be at 65g (over my daily goal). Is this too much protein to be getting from one source? 
Surgery Date 7/30/12 HW: 382, SW 358, GW: 150 
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"           

courtwillbehealthy
on 8/5/12 7:36 am - burlington, VT
 i dont think so because it takes you so long to drink it :) the fact your getting that much protein in is amazing! 
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/5/12 7:51 am - OH
 No.  Many people need more than the 60g of protein, anyway.  The 60g is a bare minimum.  You are doing GREAT!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Princess Brandy
on 8/5/12 8:06 am - PA
 That is great! I am not having any luck with drinks at this point. Milk, egg beaters and ricotta today but still only at 21 grams. 
        http://poundsago.blogspot.com/.  My daughters weightloss blog, would love if you all support her in her journey. 
wmamey
on 8/5/12 8:35 am
RNY on 06/18/12
You should stick to the protein recs from your Dr. or NUT. Protein diets can damage the kidneys. The suggested amount from your NUT is already an increased amount from the normal 2000 calorie diet. Its ok to go over on occasion but I would be sure to discuss it with your NUT to make sure it isn't going to cause any problems.

poet_kelly
on 8/5/12 10:13 am - OH
It's very unlikely that eating 65 grams of protein in one day would damage the kidneys.  In fact, the ASMBS recommends 1.1 gram protein per kilogram ideal body weight, so if the OP's goal weight is 130 lbs or higher, she would need at least 65 grams protein to meet the ASMBS recommended amount.  I really doubt that following the ASMBS guidelines is going to cause kidney damage.  Of course, anyone with questions about how much protein they should be getting should discuss it with their doctor or a registered dietician (I would not suggest taking advice from a nutritionist, since they are not required to have any formal education in nutrition and are not regulated in any way).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy R.
on 8/5/12 11:32 am
Kelly knows of what she speaks.  Many of us (myself included) started out shooting for 80-90 grams of protein per day.  There was even a point when my doc put me up to 120.

So it's a very individual thing.  I think it's awesome you are able to get in so much this early out.  I didn't notice what types of protein powder you are using, but there is certainly no problem in getting the lion's share of your protein from powders early out.  You would just want to use the protein most easily absorbed at this point.

Best of luck to you on  your journey=)
wmamey
on 8/5/12 1:23 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
Sorry Kelly it appeared to me that she was stating getting more than 65 g of protein. Not stating how much more could be a problem. I agree that the ASMBS recommends 1.1 grams of protein per kg of ideal body weight, they do not recommend going higher. Also, I apologize for stating NUT - mine happens to be a registered dietician, I guess I didn't realize the difference.

Lady Lithia
on 8/5/12 2:19 pm
Someone else may have also mentioned the fact that we malabsorb protein, so a lot of it is excreted in our bowel movements. So if a new-op gets 65 g of protein, they might only absorb 30 or 40 g of that amount.

I've been at over 100 g of protein per day since about 6 months pre-op and haven't had kidney issues. of course those WITH kidney issues should be very cautious, but I wouldn't consider it too much for someone with a healthy kidney system.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views