Newbie...1 Week off of work?

dinas27
on 8/8/12 10:48 am - IL
RNY on 09/10/12
I am doing all of my research for Gastric Bypass, I know I want it, just trying to get approved for the surgery.  I was just at my last appointment and the Doctor told me that since my job had very little "labor" (I'm an accountant) I could expect to be back at work in 1 week after the procedure.  Reading these boards people are saying they were out for 60 days and 4 weeks.  Has ANYONE ever had the surgery and gone back to work after 1 week? 

Thank you for your help!
hannan
on 8/8/12 11:45 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
I went back to school 6 days later, the first few days were not easy. I went back to work at the two week mark which was a little difficult but I also work a physical job. If you have paid sick leave take the two weeks, if you don't, suffer though the next couple of days back. It really isn't that bad. I think people who are taking 4-8 weeks off must have extremely physical jobs.
hannan
on 8/8/12 11:46 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
OH and I got so freaking bored at my house for two weeks only going to school! It was torture!

KittenLove
on 8/8/12 11:51 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Desk job here - back in a week. And I had an extended hospital stay and had to go home with the JP drain

Be happy. 

dinas27
on 8/8/12 12:02 pm - IL
RNY on 09/10/12
Thank you!  I was starting to freak out because I thought there was no way I was going to be able to take 4 weeks off of work!!  Thank you thank you! 
TravelinRN
on 8/9/12 4:04 pm
 While of course everyone is different in their recovery, this is what I'm banking on.
As a nurse I have spoken with my surgeon about my recovery goals that I have set.  1.  24 hours in hospotal and I have a dear friend who will care for me another 48 hours round the clock at home.  She's a nurse too!  1 week off work, 1 week work from home then 1 week back in office before hitting the road. Yes, I am a road warrior! I  have a very flexible desk job, the down fall for me will be the commute to the office.
I have spoken to many others in the same type of career and all were able to return with in days after surgery.
Long story short,,,, Doc says I can obtain those goals easily.

(deactivated member)
on 8/8/12 2:57 pm
Please keep in mind that your recovery will be unpredictable until you have the surgery.  Some people have problems and cannot go back to work right away.  You never know if you will be off work one week or four weeks or more.  I am not trying to scare you, but please keep all this in mind.  Jane
BeccaM76
on 8/8/12 3:02 pm
I was out 3 weeks. I work in a hospital and don't have a desk job. But, I think even if I did have a desk job I wouldn't have been able to go back at 1wk post op. 2 wks maybe.

marianthelibrarian
on 8/9/12 2:50 am
 I wouldn't have been able to go back in one week. I spent most of that first week in the hospital. But two weeks is feeling doable. I think it depends on if you have complications, what type of work you do, and what your commute is like. I'm not cleared to drive yet, and I'm 10 days post-op. My NP is concerned about the amount of stairs I'm going to face in my public transportation commute next week.

Lapband 4/2005:  342HW, 202LW
RNY 7/30/2012: 292HW, 276SW

healthseeker
on 8/9/12 3:47 am - alexandria, VA
RNY on 08/01/12 with
 I am one week out,no complications and I feel I have been having a smooth recovery so far.  However, I'm tired after taking a shower and getting ready. I am not ready to go back to work and my job is not physical at all. Everyone's recovery is different but I think taking two weeks off is probably best.  
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 285 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 288 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 283 views