ER Visit today

Tereasa R.
on 8/15/12 8:34 pm - Houston, TX
RNY on 05/29/14

This is probably TMI, but since I was 9 years old, my periods have been like clock work. I know exactly when I'm going to start and what time of day. For the past year and a half or 2 years, I miss periods 2 and 3 months at a time. Well, I have finally started after about 3 or 4 months of not having one this time and this dang thing has lasted going on 3 weeks... Well, 5 days of really light days, then a 5 day break and now going on 11 days of really heavy constant flow. I'm now on medicaid and my current OB/GYN doesn't take medicaid and so far the ones that I have called that do, don't have anything available til' the end of the month.... Well, I could  bleed to death by then!!! (that's what's going thru mine and my husband's head anyway)

So I had a really bad day today with it, so I went to the ER. My body is keeping up with my blood loss so all was good there and they found me an OB/GYN that can see me and takes my medicaid.

I'm wondering if anybody has had issues like this as well. I'm thinking it's linked to my weight because the past year or so I'm really having other health issues associated with my weight gain.

madeformore
on 8/15/12 8:46 pm - MN
RNY on 06/21/12
Are you still pre-op? I have PCOS and often had experiences like that at my higher weights. I wouldn't get my period for months - and then I would get it and it wouldn't go away. This was always the case since I started getting my period - way before I was sexually active, I had to go on birth control to regulate my periods. I lost a bunch of weight after college and my periods were regular on their own. Weight gain came with baby #1 (and # 2 & #3!) and periods got messed up again. Weight messes with hormones, which screws with your cycle...that's my simplified explanation - your new ob/gyn can give you a more scientific explanation. :)

Glad you were able to get referred to a doctor to help you out! Hope you find solutions soon.

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

Tereasa R.
on 8/16/12 6:41 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 05/29/14
Hi, Amy.

Yes I'm still pre-op. I've noticed that since I've gained more weight that this is happening. A friend of mine works for my OB/GYN and she keeps telling me it could be cancer so I'm freakin' out a little bit. I know my body and I'm pretty sure once I lose weight it will all go back to normal. Your reply eases me some just knowing I'm not the only one :) Thanks!

Tereasa
undergoingchange
on 8/16/12 10:11 am
The heavier I got, the more I suffered with the PCOS.  More hair growth, losing hair on my head in male balding pattern, irregular periods, etc, etc.

I was put on birth control pills and Metformin.  This helped control symptoms or at least arrest them.

I am still taking BCP so I don't know if my 90 lb weight loss has helped resolve my PCOS.  I really don't expect it to for me because I was diagnosed at 11 y/o when I first started having periods but I can always hope.

If you have had normal periods in the past, I think you can again (IMHO).  However, you may need some medication until that time.

Any time you have a change in vaginal bleeding that does not appear to be your regular menstual cycle it is prudent to have it checked out.  Try not to stress.

Hope all goes well.

Holley

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views