Gall Bladder Problems

Gail S.
on 8/18/12 6:39 am - New York, NY
A few days ago, I thought I had really bad gas. I was popping gasx more than I should, my abdomen was distended and I was in pain. I was at the beach with a friend and told her I needed to go back to the house. I walked a few feet, felt light headed and dizzy and said, "I gotta sit." She said I turned completely white and I then layed down on the sand for about an hour until the pain passed.

I went to my PCP who said I had classic gall bladder symptoms. He sent me for a sonogram but I have no stones. I called my surgeon and he's on vacation. The first appointment I can get is Aug 28th.

If pain like I had at the beach comes back, I will go to the ER. In the mean time, lots of fluids and very little food.

Any thoughts?
Can anyone who has had their gall bladder out tell me how long their recovery was? I'm nervous bc I have to be back to work on Sept 4 for the new school year.

artroxy blue
on 8/17/12 11:56 pm, edited 8/18/12 2:23 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 When I had mine out, I was out of commission for about a week. I was feeling better after a couple of days, but I couldn't pick up my daughter too much (she was about 20lbs. then). It probably was the easiest surgery out of the three I've had in the last year and a half. 

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I just had day surgery--in at 7:30AM, home by 1:30PM. 
Esta F.
on 8/18/12 7:13 am - IL
RNY on 07/25/12
i stayed one night in the hospital and then i was good to go after a couple of days.....no big deal

tparham1
on 8/18/12 7:19 am - Royal Oak, MI
 I had mine out and it was out patient, I went home right after. The hardest part is the gas they blow your stomach up with, I would say a week.

ericson414
on 8/18/12 7:54 am - Harlingen, TX
 I just had mine out about two months ago, it was done as an out patient, the pain from the gas that they blow you up with was worse than the gastric bypass but only lasted a day. I was really only out of commission for about two days.  I wasn't able to pick up anything over 10 lbs for several weeks, but then was fine. I had it done on a Thursday and went back to my babysitting job on Monday. The kids are big enough that I don't have to lift them. I have had no problems since having it out.

Terri

Century Card 150 lbs Lost

Larry Wassmann
on 8/18/12 9:32 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Let me tell you my sad story. I had symptoms of gall bladder trouble for at least 30 years. I had a hard time convincing anyone that it was gall bladder problems. My pain was mostly under my right shoulder blade and I guess that is not typical. It was enough pain for me that all I could do was try to find a position to sit or lay that made it feel a little better and take pain meds (over the counter type) for days until the attack went away. 
After many CT scans and an MRI finally after years of attacks ever so many months, a doctor and then a surgeon told me yes you do have some stones, but they are not that bad. They would have done an operation, but they felt that I could wait. They said you will know when it is so bad you want it out. Well off and on attacks went on over a few more years until one day I just could not stand it any longer. The pain was so bad I went to the ER where they did another CT scan and said their were no stones at all. And the pain suddenly went away. 
Just before I was secluded to have RNY I lost 37 pounds on my own. I know that sudden weight loss can cause gall bladders to go bad and I started to have the same old pain. My PCP did not feel because of other tests they did that it was my gall bladder but felt I had pulled something in my shoulder while swimming. I did not want to have an operation for RNY then have to have my gall bladder taken out, so I insisted that they do another CT scan on me. Guess what I had stones again and they made arrangements to have it taken out during my RNY.
The surgeons said that it was so bad that they had to almost scrap it off my liver and commented that gee that must have been painful for you. Oh God how much of an understatement that was. So my advise is be very insistent and make damn sure they check your gall bladder. Mine was very bad but I could not get anyone to help me until I had to get mad and make them help me.   

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Gail S.
on 8/18/12 10:14 am - New York, NY
So sorry. You are right it is a sad story of too many years of pain. Yikes! I think when I see my surgeon on the 28th he will just take it out even though there are no stones. My PCP says it def seemed like the gall bladder. 

Sonogrrl
on 8/18/12 2:51 pm
RNY on 05/22/12
I would ask for a HIDA scan. It will test the function of your gallbladder. Even without stones, you can have similar symptoms if the gallbladder is not functioning properly. I personally would not want to have surgery if I wasn't pretty darn sure it was going to relieve the pain. Just a suggestion though.
RNY 5/22/12      27.5.bs lost pre-op      
Mandy R.
on 8/19/12 1:15 pm - Callahan, FL
It definately sounds like gallbladder. I just went through this two weeks ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with what I thought was gas pains, they continued to get worse and I went to the ER and was diagnosed with gallstones. I had surgery to have it removed 2 Thursdays ago and I am pretty much back to normal...my Dr wanted me to have 2 weeks off from work. Honestly it is the easiest surgery I've ever had! Good luck to you
Mandy

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)