Question about periods. Sorry guys... TMI

stephkaz
on 8/30/12 7:52 pm - IL
 So, A little backstory here.  I started my period at 9 years old.  It has never been on time or very nice to me.  The only time it was ever on time was when I was on birth control starting at age 15 and ending at age 23.  I did not start having sex until I was 22.  My whole life, my period has been extremely painful, in the days before and through the entire week.  The muscles in my back tighten up and ache powerfully. I have cramps that leave me in a crying heap on the floor but the flow is pretty light most of the time.  

Today I got my first period since surgery on Aug 8th.  It is a full two weeks late.  
***CAUTION TMI PART*****
So I went to wipe and what came off on the toilet paper I can only describe as thus:  You know when you cook meat, and the blood congeals and turns kinda gray?   Thats what came out of me!  No normal red blood, just this nasty stuff.  It was chunks of gray stuff. Im a little freaked by this.  Usually I clot a lot, but never seen this before.

My question is, What were your experiences with your first period after rny?  
You, I've mistaken for destiny, but the truth is my legacy is not up to my genes...

sudemo09
on 8/30/12 8:00 pm - Dover, NH
Nothing like that.  Call your OB/GYN.

Are you sexually active?  I am guessing not since surgery 8/8 - it took maybe a month fo me to be comfortable enough to 'do it'

Do you eventually want children?  You might want to investigat uterine ablation (Essure?).  And/or the Mirena IUD.  No period, no pain......

stephkaz
on 8/30/12 8:10 pm - IL
 Im married and we have been active since my surgery, only twice though.  I have suspected for many years that I have endometriosis, but without a laproscopy, there is not definitive diagnosis and so far 4 ob/gyns have refused to do it.  

I want children very badly.  It is my main reason for having the surgery.  

I am at the point that I hate ob/gyns because they will not listen to me, and it seems they all only want to invest in all of those lovely fertility treatments.  I went through all the testing and they said nothing was wrong with me, just that I was too big and it was keeping me from ovulating.  I dont want IVF.  Two things would stop the endo right now if I had it, pregnancy and birth control pills ( which will no longer work)

Thank you for responding   This website and all of the people on here are an absolute Godsend. 
You, I've mistaken for destiny, but the truth is my legacy is not up to my genes...

Dee.spunk
on 8/30/12 8:07 pm - Sacramento, CA
That is not normal. Call your doctor.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

sudemo09
on 8/30/12 8:19 pm - Dover, NH
That sucks.....Sounds like you might have to keep seeing OB/GYN until you find one to listen....

What you describe does NOT sound normal to me....I am not a doctor, but......

sudemo09
on 8/30/12 8:31 pm - Dover, NH
OK, so I re-read your post.  Two weeks later than normal might account for a darker than normal blood, but not what I would describe as 'gray".

Sometimes I do not get what I would call a period, but more like 'spotting'.  But at tmes, so minimal that it might have hung out for a few days and gotten 'old'.  So it is rusty colored, not bright red. But NOT gray.   
AND that is as a 44 YO, one child, 3 yr post op (close enough), 26 BMI female, 3 yr Mirena.

Evaluate in the morning, and call your OB/GYN.  Describe for them what you have described here, unless it changes overnight, and tell them you NEED an answer.....do not worry about grossing them out, they have heard it all, and probably a lot worse.

Good luck, my dear -
Julie

shedo
on 8/31/12 5:45 am
 I can relate.  I have had some funky textures and colors. Especially in the beginning. The dr always said it was old stuff. I wonder I'm a couple days you will get red blood. I can only imagine the surgery has really thrown things off.  Good luck. Hopefully your dr will give some advice. 

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/12 8:06 am
Gray discharge could mean bacterial vaginosis. See your Gyno.
Jenspunky
on 8/31/12 8:03 pm
RNY on 01/16/12
Not normal.

Call your GYN.

You want a biopsy at the VERY least.  Don't mess around with this, it could be very serious.

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

stephkaz
on 8/31/12 8:54 pm - IL
 IT turned brown now... closer to red than grey.  It has stopped.  Nothing on the pad, just when I wipe.  I hate being a girl sometimes. No itching or pain or anything.  Cramping like nobody's business put that is par for the course.  Problem is, I dont have an OB/GYN.  I have been to so many these past few years... I have yet to find one that I feel comfortable with that will actually do the testing required to see if I have endometriosis or not.  I will see a few more days what happens.  If after the weekend it is still not going right, I will try to find another gyno.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice!  I dont have many women to talk to around me about this kind of stuff.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 26 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 293 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views