Vitamin B12

Hollie313
on 9/5/12 11:36 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
So, I've been taking a B12 vitamin daily, along with the handful of other vitamins I take.
Am I wasting my time?  I don't go back to my WLS until the end of October.  I know people
get B12 injections monthly.  Will this aleviate that need?

Thanks!

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Krafty Koala
on 9/5/12 11:43 am
poet_kelly
on 9/5/12 11:49 am - OH
Is your B12 a sublingual?  If so, no, you aren't wasting your time.  If it's a pill you swallow, though, that is a waste of time.

Taking a sublingual B12 should alleviate the need for injections, yes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/12 12:26 pm
Is it also a waste of time to take a B complex pill versus sublingually? I take sublingual B12 but started taking a pill form of B complex after learning that skin dryness could be from a niacin/B3 deficit so I added the B complex which contains B3 and all the B vitamins. If its a waste of time I won't bother.
poet_kelly
on 9/5/12 1:08 pm - OH
You can absorb all the other B vitamins in a pill, just not the B12.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hollie313
on 9/5/12 12:43 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
Sigh....I've been taking the pills.  Do I need a script for sublinguals or can I get them OTC?

poet_kelly
on 9/5/12 1:09 pm - OH
OTC.

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/14 1:26 am

If you are taking sublingual you are not wasting your time. I can’t handle taking injections and so I take vitamin b12 sublingual. Besides sublingual is the easiest method to absorb as the vitamin is directly released into the blood stream for absorption. I take 1000mcg per day.

Sandy S.
on 9/5/12 12:12 pm - MD
RNY on 05/07/12
As Kelly said it has to be sublingual. My surgeon's office gives me the option of that or the shot, but they've said the folks who get the shot monthly seem to run out of energy on the 4th week. I've been doing sublingual and my labs showed my level was fine.

Hollie313
on 9/5/12 12:42 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
Yes....they are pills.  Can I get sublinguals OTC or do I need a script?

Most Active
Recent Topics