Sipping vs. regular drinking

Rebecki65
on 9/5/12 7:51 pm - OR
RNY on 08/20/12
I'm 2.5 weeks post op and I was wondering why we are supposed to sip our water instead of drinking regular "gulps"?  I'm not talking gulping down like if you were dying of thirst, but just a regular, average 2 or 3 gulps.

I've forgotten to sip a few times and did normal drinking gulps and had no issues.  I can certainly get my fluids in better if I can drink normally rather than sipping all day.

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!      
HW: 243  CW: 157  SW: 217
RNY: 8/20/12  Age: 48 Height: 5'3"

I've lost 86lbs!  Lost 90, but the honeymoon phase is over.  Now the real work begins!

poet_kelly
on 9/5/12 7:53 pm - OH
Some people have discomfort if they take big drinks.  If it's comfortable for you, then drink however you like.  There is no reason you have to sip.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LiciaLou
on 9/5/12 8:06 pm - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
I agree with Kelly; drink however you are comfortable. I am a wk out today & have been able to drink normally since I was in the hospital. Once in awhile I will notice a twinge if I drink too much at once but all in all it's been smooth sailing. Protein is a whole other beast so I am thankful I can at least get in all my water.

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/5/12 8:17 pm - OH
What Kelly said.  I did not sip beyond the first couple of days.  I was taking small swallows, but regular swallows nevertheless.  

Doctors suggest sipping because for some people taking regular sized swallows is painful at first and it is easier to tell everyone to sip than to deal with dozens of phone calls every day from people worried about pain while drinking water.  I also helps some people get more fluids in.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Larry Wassmann
on 9/5/12 8:53 pm - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
I agree. I was able to drink normal from the get go. However the first drink hurts a little if my pouch is dry but after the first drink it is fine. If it doesn't hurt go for it.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

fireflymkz76
on 9/6/12 4:08 am - Blairsville, GA
RNY on 07/24/12
I can drink normally now but in the first couple of weeks, if I took more than a sip it would make my pouch hurt
check out my blog: http://alwaysl8totheparty.blogspot.com/      
Rebecki65
on 9/6/12 7:22 am - OR
RNY on 08/20/12
Cool!  Thanks for all of your input!  I won't feel guilty now for drinking normally!

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!      
HW: 243  CW: 157  SW: 217
RNY: 8/20/12  Age: 48 Height: 5'3"

I've lost 86lbs!  Lost 90, but the honeymoon phase is over.  Now the real work begins!

SuzysJourney72
on 9/6/12 7:52 am - Wilmington, NC
I so miss drinking normally and gulping down cold water when I am thristy.  I can no longer do this at all.  If I take more than 2 quick sips in a row I get a horrible gas like pain and pressure in the middle of my chest.  I miss drinking normally more than I miss food. 

65rosesmom
on 9/6/12 8:09 am
 I was thinking this very thing just yesterday....how much I miss being able to gulp down cold water....or gulp past a not so great tasting shake just to get it down.   I agree, I miss it more than food.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

lilbillsmom
on 9/6/12 9:20 am - TX
RNY on 07/30/12
I am a little over 5 weeks out and i can drink normally as long as I do not take in too much fluid...lol...I prefer a straw...I have no issues w/it at all

Learning to eat to live, NOT living to eat....