eating and drinking at the same time?

wmamey
on 9/12/12 9:24 am
RNY on 06/18/12
JMO - it wouldn't be mentioned by Physicians, Nutritionists, and Dieticians if were ok to do. They all say the same, aids in weight regain. I will not be doing it, I have taken a sip if something is not sitting right but that was probably 2 times in 12 weeks.

cynthia_chicago
on 9/12/12 12:38 pm - IL
Water washes the food out of your pouch making you hungry again. 
I once heard this visual.... picture a funnel, pour in the funnel yogurt.. the yogurt will slowwwly drip through (keeping you full).  Now mix that same yogurt with a glass of water.... how fast does that yogurt now go through the funnel?  Liquid washes food through, leaving you hungry.
poet_kelly
on 9/12/12 12:39 pm - OH
It will not cause dumping and you will not fill up on liquids.

The reason RNY patients are advised not to drink with meals is because the liquid will wash the food out of your pouch.  The sooner your pouch gets empty, the sooner you'll get hungry.  Drinking with meals makes it easier to overeat and not lose the weight you want to lose.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

sugarbabyhoneypump
kin

on 9/12/12 12:59 pm - IN
I look at it as bad practice and a gateway behavior to overrating. If I wash down what I'm eating from my pouch, there's room for more food in there. I could just keep eating and eating and washing it on through. It kind of defeats the restrictive feature of the pouch. NOT GOOD!
~~Sonya~~
(Roux-en-y 07/05/2012) Heighest Weight/Surgery Day Weight 240lbs     
(deactivated member)
on 9/12/12 1:20 pm
Bad idea.

You will not fill up on water and you won't dump from it, in general. If you had something sugary and you're a dumper, it might make you dump sooner.

It just washes food out of your pouch and so it's like you never ate. Except that you did, you got all the calories, and now you're hungry again.

I take a few small sips when I'm eating spicy food, but I don't suggest it for newbies. Not eating while drinking is hard enough habit to break, why make it harder on yourself? It's not a habit for me anymore and I trust myself not to overdo it.
Allen Y.
on 9/12/12 5:13 pm - Garland, TX
 There are two issues with drinking during the meal. 

Number 1 is if you drink enough you will flush your food down and be able to eat more

Number 2 is you may very well get nauseus 

For some they just can not eat a totaly dry meal, thus if you only sip about 2 oz during the entire meal you are probably not in any real danger of over eating. Can you limit yourself to the smallest amount ofof drink possible? If your finnish a 8 oz glass you are likely flushing your food.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 141 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views