eating and drinking at the same time?

Tracey K.
on 9/12/12 7:05 am - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
Just wondering, if people have problems with this... I am about 3 weeks post op and although I am an ex-band patient, and my surgeon had mentioned it might not be a good idea, I find my self taking small sips of water while I am eating.. is this bad? Can it cause dumping? or does it just not allow you to get enough protien because you fill up on liquid? 

Thoughts?

Larry Wassmann
on 9/12/12 7:10 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
 Some are going to say it is Ok and they have done it for a long time....But I was told not to do it by my surgeons and NUT. No drinking or anything else until 60 min after a meal. Some say 30 min but my doctors said 60 so that is what I do. I was told that if you drink or sip while eating the food will get washed out of your pouch and you will not get all the good from your food, and you will get hungry sooner. Sorry but that is what I was told. I know for sure, for me, that if I do not have protein in my pouch in the morning I get real hungry before lunch. I would do what your doctor told you to do..why not?

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Tracey K.
on 9/12/12 7:12 am - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
 You have a good point, I guess it was just the transition of going to clear liquids, to full liquids where both stages were just drinking constantly, and now on puree, I have to seperate the 2. 
poet_kelly
on 9/12/12 12:40 pm - OH
On September 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM Pacific Time, Larry Wassmann wrote:
 Some are going to say it is Ok and they have done it for a long time....But I was told not to do it by my surgeons and NUT. No drinking or anything else until 60 min after a meal. Some say 30 min but my doctors said 60 so that is what I do. I was told that if you drink or sip while eating the food will get washed out of your pouch and you will not get all the good from your food, and you will get hungry sooner. Sorry but that is what I was told. I know for sure, for me, that if I do not have protein in my pouch in the morning I get real hungry before lunch. I would do what your doctor told you to do..why not?
You will get hungry sooner, yes, but it won't keep you from absorbing nutrients from your food.  We don't absorb much in our pouch anyway.  We absorb it in the small intestine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Laura in Texas
on 9/12/12 7:17 am
Personally, I think it is a bad habit to get into. Of the WLS people I know in real life, the ones who drink with their meals never got to goal or gained a lot back. I'm not risking it.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

artroxy blue
on 9/12/12 7:18 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 No eating and drinking together. I was instructed to wait 20-30 minutes between the two. Some say 60 minutes, too. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 9/12/12 12:25 am, edited 9/12/12 12:25 am
I do that... but only when I can't eat enough and I need to make sure I can eat more.
At one time I could not stop losing and to increase calories - I was told to drink while eating - so I could eat more.

Now - the only time I do that when my pouch hurts (possible ulcers) and I can't eat any volume without really hurting... (the idea is to move the food from the pouch and down the small intestines as fast as possible) .This is something you do not want to do when you trying to lose weight and try not to be hungry.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cajungirl
on 9/12/12 7:47 am
Not a wise idea.  You'll push your food through the stoma quicker and cause hunger to return quicker.  Early out you may not experience hunger and don't realize it is a big deal but once you can eat more drinking with meals will be a tough one to break.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Cleopatra_Nik
on 9/12/12 7:58 am - Baltimore, MD
I am nearly five years post-op (Yowsa!) and I don't do it. You ask 100 people *****gained who did it and many will raise their hands. Just not a good idea. Break the habit!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Tracey K.
on 9/12/12 8:08 am - NJ
RNY on 08/24/12
 Thanks everyone, I thought it wasn't a good idea, a habit I will definitely break now before I even start soft/solid food.  Why make it harder on myself! 
Most Active