NSV - Swimming

Nee000
on 9/15/12 2:27 pm - MI
I'm so proud of myself.  I finally decided to take swim lessons, something that I've always wanted to do, but never really felt comfortable.  Well I started a couple of weeks ago and last week my fear of floating and having to breathing under water kinda paralyzed me.  I'm glad that I forced myself to attend this week, cause my classmates really encouraged me so much.  Then one of the instructors spent a lot of time showing me a different way of floating that helped me. Now I can float, breath out under water then stand up without panic -ing. 

I honestly never thought that I would ever have the courage...I'm so grateful right now!
(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 3:05 pm
Excellent!  Very proud of you to do this when you are an adult.  Learning to swim is an important and life saving activity.  Keep it up!   Jane
plum21
on 9/15/12 3:43 pm - Miami, FL
 Congratulations. See, you can do hard things.
Skinnygirlme
on 9/15/12 4:42 pm - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
 Way to go!!!
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
SoCaPinkLady
on 9/15/12 7:28 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12
How wonderful. It's something I need to do as well but I've always let the fear keep me from it.

Lori                               

juleskar
on 9/15/12 9:01 pm
That is awesome!!!
avivaps
on 9/15/12 9:47 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 My husband never learned to swim so I know how scary it is for an adult to gain the confidence to put their head under water or take their feet off the bottom.  You should be extra proud of yourself.

Andrea 

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Nee000
on 9/16/12 4:29 am - MI
Thanks for all the responses.  I hope that sharing my being able to overcome my punk-ness encourages someone else to overcome some of their fears that have kept them from accomplishing some of their dreams/goals/ or just things that they've been interested in and never thought they could do because of their weight.

I'm always encouraged by the nsv's of others.  So keep posting them!
Larry Wassmann
on 9/16/12 9:27 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Good for you it is a great way to lose a little weight, keep the joints from freezing up and having fun. I swam in college and I am a good swimmer, but be aware of one thing. I used to be able to just lay in the water, not move and float along. Now that I have lost weight and fat that kept me buoyant, I have to actually swim to stay on top. But I love it and hope you keep it up so that when you are my age, you will not need to have your knees replaced as I do because of thinking I could run 6 miles a day, like I did for years. Swimming will not do that to your body and is as good an exercise.   

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Most Active
Recent Topics