Ok, Ok, finally posting after being a member 6 years...

michellerayne
on 9/25/12 5:28 am
RNY on 09/19/12
I have been a member of this website for years, but this is the first time I've posted.  I have been thinking about WLS since 2006, but just recently had it done.  I have gained so much information from reading everyone's posts and lurking around, but I had to breakdown and ask a question for myself :)

I had my surgery on 9/19 and I am still having quite a bit of pain on my left side from the biggest incision for the laprascopic RNY. I'm still needing to use my pain meds quite a bit.  I see all these people who feel as though they didn't need them at all, and I know everyone is different, but I just was a little concerned.  It's very managable with the Lortab that the Dr. gave me, but I didn't know how it worked with everyone else.

Sarah C.
on 9/25/12 5:38 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
I've read where others have experienced the "Left Side Pain" so I'm sure there are lots of folks who can help.  I was an odd duck and had pain in the lower right quadrant. 

My recommendation is call your doctor.  you're only 6 days out so your pain may be absolutely normal.  Don't let the pain get ahead of you, though.  If you need the meds, take them.  but definitely call your doctor.  

At 5 days out, I contacted my doc RE: my right side pain and he had me have a CT done to make sure everything was okay.  I'd much rather be safe than sorry!! 

Good luck!! 

Sarah C.
on 9/25/12 5:39 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
PS: welcome to the boards!!  I agree, i've learned SO much from everyone elses' experiences here!! 

Marilyn101
on 9/25/12 5:41 am - FL
Everyone is different as you said, but I personally was on pain medication for almost a month, I mean I required less medication as time went by but I was in pain and very careful for the first 6 weeks after my WLS So let your body heal and get better , it takes time. I am glad you decided to ask and post.Good luck on your new journey and keep us posted.
Candy V.
on 9/25/12 7:11 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12
I had my RNY on 9/12 & am still very uncomfortable on the left side. Can't sleep on my sides at all and have to be carefull when moving around. I haven't been taking the pain meds since the first week because I want to drive. That said, if I could just stay home I would take some.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Carmen C.
on 9/25/12 8:17 am
RNY on 08/08/12
I had lots of left side pain went away like 3 weeks

Had RNY on 8/8/2012- revision from Gastric sleeve in 12/2008-  
LOST 5.8 POUNDS POST-OPT

seattledeb
on 9/25/12 11:56 am
 Could be gas / could be from moving your guts all around. It's perfectly normal to still have pain and to still take pain meds. Just be aware of the possible side effect..constipation.

To decrease gas...increase activity. Just walking around helps.

9 years..thats a long time to think about things. Welcome to the other side.
Deb T.

Kelly L.
on 9/25/12 2:53 pm - San Jacinto, CA
totally normal.. Mine lasted about a month!