Question about OHSU - pre-op diet? Xpost

happydaisy123456789
on 9/26/12 1:09 pm - Vancouver, WA
VSG on 10/16/12
Hi All!

I will be having surgery through OHSU in Portland, OR with Dr. O'Rourke. I have medicare as my insurance. I was wondering if anyone else has had this same scenario and if so, did you have to do a pre-op liquid diet for any period of time?

I asked to co-ordinator and she told no pre-op diet but I'm just wondering about other people's experiences.

Thanks for your help!

~Tonia

CarolF3
on 9/26/12 1:47 pm - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12
Yes, from what I have heard from everyone-including my own Team there will be a Pre-Op diet.

There needs to be to shrink your Liver for the surgery you are going to have.
I am wondering how they will shrink your liver without the Pre-Op diet?

Ask your Team all your questions-they are there to help as well.

CarolF3

chowell
on 9/26/12 2:00 pm - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12
I a, also on medicare and i have had to be on a high protein low carb and low fat diet for 2 weeks and a clear liquid diet 2 day before surgery my surgery is oct 4

Cecily Howell                

missmomof4
on 9/26/12 2:00 pm
RNY on 09/10/12
 not all physicians require a preop liquid diet. for some, you may just need to do one day. but just because your insurance doesnt require it, does not mean the surgeon will not. good luck to you!

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
Ladytazz
on 9/26/12 2:11 pm
I've had WLS twice now at OHSU and they do not have any kind of pre op diet.  I didn't have Dr. O'Rourke but I assume it is the same with all their surgeons.  They also don't have the greatest follow up so you will have to educate yourself in order to have the greatest success but it is doable.  Just be proactive and learn all you can.  Are you having the sleeve?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Nywoe
on 9/26/12 2:25 pm
My husband just had surgery from Dr. O'Rourke at OHSU.  There was no liquid diet required prior to the surgery, but they asked him to go on a low-calorie diet and lose weight before the surgery, as well as start practicing some of the habits for things he will need to do after the surgery, like not drinking beverages during meals, not drinking through straws, cutting out processed sugar as much as possible, etc.
happydaisy123456789
on 9/26/12 2:46 pm - Vancouver, WA
VSG on 10/16/12
Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate it. I have my consult on Monday and I'm so excited and ready. Again, thanks for the responses!!

Ninny80
on 9/26/12 10:29 pm
A friend of mine had her RNY at OHSU 4 years ago and did not have to do a pre-op liquid diet.  Only clear liquids the day before surgery.  Mind you this was 4 years ago, they could have changed their policy since then.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 289 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 292 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 286 views