Kidney issues post-op?

shellykayd
on 9/30/12 1:32 pm - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
This is probably a really weird question, but I was curious if anyone had kidney issues after surgery due to all the extra protein?

I donated a kidney to my son 15 years ago, so I only have one left.  My kidney function has been fine since then and I did ask the surgeon about it and he just said I would be fine (even though in the paperwork he gave me to read and sign it lists kidney failure as one of the rare complications).

Before my son's transplant we had to really restrict protein because it's hard on the kidneys.

So, just curious if anyone has had a problem with kidney function after surgery?

Thanks!
Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/30/12 1:37 pm - OH
No need to worry... you would need to ingest MUCH more protein than what we do in order to cause kidney issues because of excess protein.  ANY kind of surgery can result in kidney failure.  It was on the list I signed when I had my tummy tuck, LOL!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Allen Y.
on 9/30/12 2:05 pm - Garland, TX
 I had quite a bit of problems getting my kidneys to function post surgery, they are really sensitive to anesthesia. But after a week or so I finally started having normal urine and I have not had any problems since then.

I think you have a valid concern, talk with your surgeon and your anesthesiologist about it.

SarahLee1969
on 10/1/12 10:39 am - NY
Any chance you could talk to your sons nephrologist? They probably have had some experience with this, even if it seems like an unusual question. I work in dialysis, and know the nephrologists in our2 officeswould gladly answer questions for family.
I have heard, anecdotally, that there may be an increaded risk for kidney stones related to using the wrong type of calcium supplement and not getting adequate fluids.Unfortunately I have not been able to find any studies that support or negate this :/
shellykayd
on 10/1/12 12:09 pm - Belgrade, MT
RNY on 10/15/12
Thanks!  Do you work in a hemo dialysis center?  My son was on peritoneal dialysis at home for 4 years and was on hemo in Seattle for 3 weeks while healing up from his gtube placement.  It became such a huge part of our lives, I kind of miss it!

I normally would ask my son's nephrologist, but he just got a new one and I don't know him or his office at all (we've only had one appointment so far).  I guess I can always call and ask!

I hope I can avoid kidney stones!  I did get the type of calcium the nutritionist and doctor told me I needed.  I am worried about getting enough fluids in though.  I usually drink A LOT of water everyday, but with a tiny stomach, not sure how much I will be able to drink!  They told me I couldn't drink for 1/2 hour before meals and for an hour after meals.....  But that I'm suppose to eat every 3 hours or so?  How the heck does that work?  Haha, guess I need to ask some more questions!
Shelly, mom to two special needs kids in Bozeman MT