How do you cook for your family after WSL

qnmimi
on 10/2/12 2:26 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I usually cook pretty healthy, no processed foods except veggies. I will make low carb, or have a low, or no carb choice for me, or anyone else who wants. Prime example is cooking up a spaghetti squash when I make spaghetti...noodles for them, squash for me, plus I hold back some of the meat to add to my meal. I used to make a lot of hot dishes, but other than vegetable lasagna, egg stratas, and an occasional mexican dish I don't anymore. My sister will cook that kind of stuff wheon either I'm at work,, or there are no leftovers. To me figuring out a carb alternative has been challenging at times, But I usually have either some quinoa, sweet potato (my splurge), or squash on hand or in the freezer to use. Broasted chicken is my favorite "go-to" meal.

jessann5
on 10/2/12 10:01 pm - Kansas City, KS
I LOVE spaghetti squash! It is a life changer It makes a super yummy "mac n cheese" too!

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

Kelly L.
on 10/2/12 2:54 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 My kids are adults.. My husband works 150 miles from home so is only here on the weekends. I don't cook often.... BUT, when I do... It's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!! They all scatter until its TIME... I cook the same things I always did, I taste, I tweak :) I just don't eat 3000 calories worth of it :)

HW 274. CW 129

jessann5
on 10/2/12 9:59 pm - Kansas City, KS
At first it is tough to cook for your family, but I am almost 5 years out and we all eat the same thing. I make healthy balanced meals and we all eat them. My husband has lost 100 pounds since I had my RNY....almost like 2 for 1 special!

I love to cook too and I still use my favorite recipes I have just changed the ingredients for example one of my favorite things to cook for my family was chicken and orzzo the ingredietns were pretty bad like 8oz cream cheese, crumbled bacon and butter. I just sub the cream cheese for a little light sour cream and a 1/4 cup parmesan, omit the butter and use turkey bacon, and Instead of the orzzo I use whole wheat pasta. everyone loves it just the same.

Best wishes!

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

Day_dream_believer
on 10/3/12 12:31 am
 About 2 weeks before my pre op diet I started preparing freezer meals for my family. I had enough food to last the 2 weeks before and then 2 weeks after.  I let my kids/husband prepare the food during that time.  My oldest daughter was 12 at the time and it was a great opportunity for her to learn basic cooking skills.  After that time I started cooking meals that I could eat as well.  I simply ate what I could eat and then had extra sides for them  For example, I might have spaghetti with turkey meatballs, a soft veggie, salad, and bread.  I would eat one turkey meatball with a little bit of sauce to make it moist and then a little of the soft veggie.    Now that I am over a year out I do the same thing.  The other night we had pork tenderloin with green beans and rice.  I skipped the rice but I could eat everything else.  On the nights we do something like hot dogs or hamburgers on the grill I will cook some tilapia for myself.  Then we all eat healthy sides.

Remember, this does not last forever.  Within a few months you should be able to eat normal food.  I have always felt that my family needs to eat the same food I eat.  It is important for them to be healthy as well.  In the beginning I honestly didn't want to eat what I was cooking.

Consuela N.
on 10/3/12 1:28 am - OH
I am 6 months out and I cook for myself and my family. My daughter and I basically eat the same thing and we always have left overs so we eat the same meal twice. My husband and sons I cook a totally different meal for them. I do not taste when I am cooking their food I always call my husband in to taste to tell me what spices I need to add. My daughter just likes to eat what I eat because she is an athlete and she just like to watch her calorie intake...she splurges once a week.

Connie

WifeMama
on 10/3/12 2:02 am
RNY on 06/21/12
 I have a husband and 3 children under 12.  I love to cook as well.  I've just perused websites and cookbooks for high protein meals.  They don't have to be specifically listed as high protein, but look for common themes: beans, tuna, chicken, beef, etc.  I adjust almost all recipes.  If it calls for sour cream, I use Greek yogurt instead.  For baking I use applesauce and Greek yogurt instead of oil and it makes things super creamy and moist.  I add more eggs (or egg whites) than called for in recipes.  If a recipe calls for cocoa, instead I use chocolate protein powder.  If it is a dip or something that is smooth, I add unflavored protein.  I call it "upgrading my food."  It's actually fairly easy to do once you're in the mindset of protein is a must!  I love cooking for my family and frankly, my family eats healthier now because I'm cooking higher protein, lower fat, lower carb, lower fat, better dishes!    You can do it and it can still be enjoyable!  I love being creative with recipes.  Pinterest and All Recipes are great online resources.
BWB
on 10/3/12 2:22 am

Knowknews
on 10/4/12 8:20 am, edited 10/4/12 8:20 am - OH
I will have to save this one... Never heard of sub-ing with applesauce and greek yogurt.  Never heard of unflavored protein either. Do you buy it at like Sam's Club or on line?  Tim wants to lose weight with me so I think he will get into the protein thing.  We have lost weight before and of course he lost more than I did and faster too.

RNY 10/29/12   HW:  295   SW: 273    DGW: 170   MGW: 145

WifeMama
on 10/4/12 12:09 pm
RNY on 06/21/12
 You really can't tell a difference, except that baked goods are smoother/creamier (using applesauce/greek yogurt).  Unflavored protein can be purchased as some Walgreens, otherwise online.  I use Unjury brand unflavored protein.  Be creative with your food!  There are so many possibilities. 
Most Active
Recent Topics