V8 Juice

Kay1975
on 10/5/12 9:25 am - PA
I want to know if I can drink V8 juice.  I knw it doesnt offer much protein but I am still on the pureed stage and my nutritionist said to try and add some veggies.    The one has 9g of sugar though.  Isn't this too much and will cause dumping.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks guys

Kay Kay

Bellaluna468
on 10/5/12 9:30 am
RNY on 10/26/12
 maybe add some of the unflavored protein to boost it up a little.

artroxy blue
on 10/5/12 9:36 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 I drank V8, and it was a nice change of pace from the sweet shakes. I did add unflavored protein powder once, and it was kind of like a creamy tomato gazpacho. I was also taking Pepcid and an anti-ulcer med. 
Dave Chambers
on 10/5/12 9:58 am - Mira Loma, CA

High acidity foods or drinks can cause ulcers. So I'd take it easy after surgery on these.  Likely, it's best to dilute them with water to lessen the acid levels.  One guy in one of my support groups came down with an ulcer. He lost wt well from his RNY, ate right and exercised. He commented about his issue at a support meeting a few months ago.  He was getting ready to come to a support group and noted some blood in the toilet. He called the surgeon and was told to go the ER. Tests indicated the start of a ulcer, and after 3 days he went home with Carafate to take daily.  Surgeon surmised it was his "over indulgance" of cold citrus.  He ate several cold oranges, tangerines, loved cold citrus or tomato juice, and he drank 2 gallons or more of the Crystal Lite Ruby Graperfruit on hot days.  9g as a post op has a good chance of causing dumping for most post ops.  There is a lot of salt in V8 too--just look at the label. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

brenlee1965
on 10/5/12 11:48 am - New Berlin, NY
The low sodium V8 was on my plan from the doctor. I add a bit of water cause it seemed strong too me. No problems with it at all.
 Bren                
never2late4change
on 10/5/12 11:54 am - Virginia Beach, VA
RNY on 07/18/12
I enjoy the diet V 8 splash drinks. They are very good sometimes I dilute them with water. I think they only have about 5 calories per 8 oz.

Highest Weight: 283.6,  Post Op Weight: 273.6, Goal Weight: 160 lbs 

MissK123456789
on 10/5/12 12:06 pm - PA
I am 9 weeks out from my surgery and have had higher sugar than that with no ill effects.  I've never had dumping syndrome.  I can't help think it might be a nice change of pace from the constipation of a high protein diet.  My point is, you need to try each food individually to see how the new gut reacts to it.  You could be perfectly fine.  Just expect the best but be prepared for the worst.
Most Active
Recent Topics