One month weight check. Devastated

longhornrose
on 10/16/12 5:07 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Kay, you have all of my compassion and understanding on this, because I'll be 5 weeks out on Thursday, and I found out today I've lost only 8 lbs.  I've been so disappointed and discouraged, because I've gone through so much (as you have, too), to lose so little.  I had a long talk with my doctor today, and he assures me it will come off.  In the meantime, he's checking my thyroid to be sure there isn't a problem there, and I have to see my PCP to have my other meds checked.  One medication I'm on, metoprolol, which I believe is a beta-blocker for my high blood pressure, can contribute to weight increase or at least prevent weight loss.  

One of the things he told me is that it's important to pay less attention to the scale, and more attention to learning good eating habits now, which will help in the long run to keep the weight off.  Although I'm still disappointed about so little weight loss, I know it's important right now to just stay on program and keep doing what I'm doing.  

I hope you can keep your chin up, and know that this will happen.  Hopefully, you and I (and Shannon) will have a great second month post-surgery, and we all can celebrate that together!
Friend me if you want to, and we can encourage one another.  I'm not sure a lot of people really understand what a disappointment this is for us; most of the people who've responded to my posts have said "Oh, I lost 20 lbs. the first month, and then I didn't lose anything for two weeks."  That's very different than the situation we're in, and it really helps to hear from someone else who's going through the same situation.

Please take care of yourself. 

Beth   

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

longhornrose
on 10/16/12 5:15 pm - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
I realized I made a mistake about my weight loss.  I've actually lost 10 lbs. since surgery.  I was thinking 8, because when I went for my 1 week follow-up, I lost 2, but forgot where I actually started.  (Does that make any sense???) 

Here's the real truth, that my doctor pointed out to me today:  when I saw him for my consultation in February, I weighed 312 lbs.  (I was thinking it was 309.)  As of today, I've lost a total of 48 lbs.  That sort of hit me, and really helped boost my spirits today.  So I just need to keep on keeping on, and wait for things to happen.  I know they will. . . I know they will. . . I know they will! 

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Silverbelle69
on 10/16/12 6:51 pm - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12
Sometimes you might lose inches faster than pounds....take measurements monthly!   Relax, hydrate, take your vitamins, and follow your plan and it will happen for you!   HUGS

Michelle V.
on 10/16/12 10:04 pm - Livonia, MI
Did you meet with your sugeon/nut for a checkup?  What did they think? 

Did they review your plan with you?

What are you consuming for calories & protein?

It does take time to loose weight even with WLS surgery.  Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to gain weight than to loose it. 

Kay1975
on 10/17/12 12:36 am - PA
UPDATE.....I talked to my NUT.  She wants me to eat more because I am not eating nearly as much as I should be eating.  So.. I am going to start eating more and exercising more.  Thanks everyone for your support.

Kay Kay

southbay311
on 10/17/12 5:13 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
its so hard with the damn scale involved. I put it up on the shelf in my closet just last week.  Seeing it on the floor was too tempting to weigh and then become frustrated.  Stress only makes the weight harder to lose on top ot if so do yourself a favor and plan on weighing once a month or whenever you feel comfortable.

I only lost 15 the first month but then consistently lost 16 the next 2 months.  Month by month the numbers do add up and it will happen for you. I lost 15 month 1 and then 16 months 2 & 3...then low and behold the 4th month down 6...go figure, nothing different done. You body will adjust on its own, that is something we have no power over.  Stay with the plan and weight will come off.

nance
H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Adrianne_Dawn
on 10/18/12 4:06 pm - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
At first it's rough, your hardly eating, your always tired, emotional, and then to top it off you feel like you aren't losing like you should. We've all been there! I'm almost 5 months out and some months I felt I barely lost anything and then other months if lose like 15lbs. It all evens out in the end and if I average it out right now its about 12.67lbs a month. No way I would have been able to do that before. So try not to stress to much. Your body just had a major surgery and is trying to figure out wth is going on. you can do it!! Chin up!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 286 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 256 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 188 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 312 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?