Plastic surgery - medically necessary reasons

MissK123456789
on 10/26/12 8:43 am - PA

Hey folks,

I have a follow up appointment in January with my plastic surgeon for a surgery unrelated to my WLS.  I know that he will find removing the flabby skin from my lower abdomen medically necessary BUT has anyone been able to get their upper arms done for a medically necessary reasons?  That hanging skin is driving me nuts!  It rubs and hurts.

If you have any experience with this, please share!

Karen

Heidi T.
on 10/26/12 12:02 pm
RNY on 01/31/12

I have never heard of anyone getting their arms paid by insurance. Good luck If you find a way please let me know

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/26/12 12:46 pm - OH
I had so much extra skin on my arms and in my armpits that the rashes I was getting there were actually worse than the ones I was getting under my belly, and if I nicked myself shaving it would sometimes get infected. My arm lift was still denied.

Usually, insurance will only cover the panniculectomy. Arms, thighs, even full tummy tucks with muscle tightening are usually not covered. (The full tummy tuck is sometimes covered, but usually only if you have a hernia or other medical issue****asionally people can get a breast reduction and lift covered, but most women don't have enough breast tissue left to qualify for that.

My panniculectomy was covered by insurance. My arm lift, mons lift, and tummy tuck were self-pay.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MissK123456789
on 10/26/12 12:55 pm - PA

Thanks for the responses so far.  Good to know about the arms.  I suppose that I was just hoping there was some justifiable reason.  Now the question is, how much did the upper arms cost you guys?  I need a ballpark so I can start saving.  :)

Karen

Most Active