According to the "nutritionist" the Cowboy Cheerleaders use...

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/26/12 12:23 pm, edited 10/26/12 12:41 pm - OH
The "nutritionist" that the leaders of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders brought in to help some of the girls get rid of some "love handles" and "pudginess" actually told the cheerleaders that carbonation "stresses your body out&quot and causes cellulite!! Seriously?!? Talk about BS scare tactics! OMG.

On the other hand, she did distinguish between a healthy diet for a normal person and a healthy diet for a professional cheerleader so wears a barely there costume, so I have to give her points for that.

One of the cheerleaders said that now that she is 28 she notices that if she eats something unhealthy, some part of her body (motioning to her hips) "shakes for a week". Uh, no, I don't think so.... unless, of course, whatever she is eating has tens of thousands of calories.

Of course, I have now just revealed one of my two television "guilty pleasures"

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Carol S.
on 10/26/12 12:33 pm - Milwaukee, WI

That isn't a nutritionist who has the best interest of the people she is caring for, but for the people who hired her.  What a load of BS.  As a daughter of two girls I'm so tired of stuff like that.  

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

wmamey
on 10/26/12 10:20 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
On October 26, 2012 at 7:23 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl wrote:
The "nutritionist" that the leaders of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders brought in to help some of the girls get rid of some "love handles" and "pudginess" actually told the cheerleaders that carbonation "stresses your body out&quot and causes cellulite!! Seriously?!? Talk about BS scare tactics! OMG.

On the other hand, she did distinguish between a healthy diet for a normal person and a healthy diet for a professional cheerleader so wears a barely there costume, so I have to give her points for that.

One of the cheerleaders said that now that she is 28 she notices that if she eats something unhealthy, some part of her body (motioning to her hips) "shakes for a week". Uh, no, I don't think so.... unless, of course, whatever she is eating has tens of thousands of calories.

Of course, I have now just revealed one of my two television "guilty pleasures"

Lora
Lora,
Am I right that a nutritionist doesn't actually need a degree? Wouldn't a better option be someone with a degree such as a registered dietician? I know in NJ a registered dietician needs to pass a state board examination. Just curious as to which is the better option.
Deb

wendydettmer
on 10/26/12 10:48 pm - Rochester, NY

i think the term is used interchangeably a lot.  in some states, a nutritionist has to pass a state exam (in NY for example, the state requires certification/state test, etc for nutritionists, but not a nutritional counselor) .  I HIGHLY doubt the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders uses someone without a degree.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

wmamey
on 10/26/12 11:33 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
On October 27, 2012 at 5:48 AM Pacific Time, wendydettmer wrote:

i think the term is used interchangeably a lot.  in some states, a nutritionist has to pass a state exam (in NY for example, the state requires certification/state test, etc for nutritionists, but not a nutritional counselor) .  I HIGHLY doubt the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders uses someone without a degree.

In NY they only have to take an exam if they want to use the term "certified." I was asking more for some of the examples I have seen here where someone relies and swears by whichever (nutritionist/dietician) they use. I was curious to see which requires more education, degree, certification, etc. Personally, I see a dietician ONLY because that is what was offered to me through my surgeon. I really wouldn't have cared if they had me see a nutritionist. I do NOT take anything they tell me as gospel; I always check things out for myself as well. The same goes for any medical advice. Sorry if I didn't state that right, I really don't care what the cheerleaders are using, lol!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/27/12 1:41 am - OH

I would think they would use someone with a degree, too, and I know some people both with and without degrees who call themselves nutritionists, but in order to be a registered dietician you MUST have a degree and usually have to pass an exam (varies by state).  (That still doesn't mean that they know anything about post-RNY issues, though.)

I think part of the problem is that there are lots of different "nutrition"-related degrees available, so not all degrees are equal.  It;s like Social Work degrees: some include a significant amount of training in counseling and others offer almost none (and therefore some SWers are great counselors and some absolutely stink (but that applies to people with counseling and psychology degrees, too... some are just better than others, but at least with a LPC you know they are trained in actual counseling techniques and have had an internship where they DID counseling, etc.)

Now I am curious about what this woman's credentials actually are. Google....

Lora

wendydettmer
on 10/27/12 2:05 am - Rochester, NY

in NYS you need to take an exam, plus have the appropriate experience and/or education.  they list it as a certified dietitian/nutritionist.  so in NY it's used interchangeably.  you can look it up on the office of the professions site.  the reason i know is because i am looking to getting my degree in nutrition and looked up the requirements to be certified in NYS

but either way, i do agree that you shouldn't take ANY information blindly.  someone can have the degree pass the test and still have no idea what they are talking about lol

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Cleopatra_Nik
on 10/26/12 10:33 pm - Baltimore, MD

You know, Lora. As much as I shake my head at the ridiculousness of some of that stuff, here's what it all boils down to:

They have damn near perfect bodies and I, with all my sanctimony, do not. So the lesson there: more power to 'em cuz it seems to be working out for them!

As for me, I am destined to a life of jigglyness and I have come to a place of acceptance. Let them keep torturing themselves. I'll watch while sipping an indulgent iced latte!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

wmamey
on 10/26/12 11:23 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
On October 27, 2012 at 5:33 AM Pacific Time, Cleopatra_Nik wrote:

You know, Lora. As much as I shake my head at the ridiculousness of some of that stuff, here's what it all boils down to:

They have damn near perfect bodies and I, with all my sanctimony, do not. So the lesson there: more power to 'em cuz it seems to be working out for them!

As for me, I am destined to a life of jigglyness and I have come to a place of acceptance. Let them keep torturing themselves. I'll watch while sipping an indulgent iced latte!

Pass the latte please!! LOL!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/27/12 1:43 am - OH

Agreed!  I was just stunned that TWICE during the show she told them that diet soda caused cellulite (and many of the cheerleaders actually believed her).

Lora

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 441 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views