We've come a long way Baby!

Gilly68
on 10/29/12 1:06 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

When I first began researching this surgery 10 years ago (I was shut down due to insurance reasons) I made the mistake of telling a few people that I was considering WLS and it was my first experience with the stigma that comes with obesity and WLS. I couldn't believe how negative people were about it!!  "You don't need surgery! Just lose weight!" "That's taking the EASY way out!" You get the idea....

So when I started pursuing it again last year I didn't tell anyone! I wanted to wait until I knew for sure that it would happen! I guess I just didn't want to have to deal with it until I knew it was a done deal. I recently got my approval and surgical date (12/3) so I decided to start telling people. Over the weekend, I told a few co-workers who were surprisingly supportive. Then word spread quickly and the next thing I know the whole department was talking about it and EVERYONE was amazingly supportive and sincerely happy for me!! There were a few who had questions about risks and complications, but everyone's reaction made me feel so happy and at ease discussing it!! It was then that I realized that I wasn't freaking out and feeling stressed about the surgery...it was about the reactions of people when I told them and having to deal with all that. I am no completely at peace with this!!

Now it should be said that I am an ER nurse and my co-workers are other nurses, doctors,etc in the health field-so they are perhaps more informed than the general population....but at least it was a start. The family members I have told (my parents, my kids) have also been completely supportive! So I know that I have a warm, safe support system and it doesn't matter what anyone else says....I am surrounded by love and understanding!

Hollie313
on 10/29/12 1:24 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

That is awesome!  The only people who knew I was having RNY was work (of course), my parents, hubby and my bro.  Everyone else was left in the dark because I didn't want to hear their opinions or potential negativity.  If I had it to do over again, I would do it the exact same way.  Glad you have positive people in your life!!

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

Dee.spunk
on 10/29/12 1:34 am - Sacramento, CA
It's great to have people who are positive and supportive. Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Rebecca F.
on 10/29/12 1:52 am
Everyone I have told has been very supportive. I think 10 years ago people were still very much in the dark about it. Now people can see it is NOT the easy way out. For some it is the only way. Good luck! I am planning revision for Dec.
MrsLitch
on 10/29/12 11:19 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I was amazed as I told people some pre op some a few months post op how many had had the surgery themselves! Once I went fb official at 3 mo with a before and during picture I got two messages within hours from two friends who had had it. One 9 years ago and one 2 weeks after me. I had no idea! I never ran into any negative comments. The only ones now are. You are done losing right? heh! nope not close enough yet to MY goal.

I def. think with the shows on tv and the stars who have had it and talk about it people are better educated. And I feel if they are negative? so what but it hasn't happened yet thank goodness.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 106 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views