Incorporating Weights

Angela_Italiana
on 10/31/12 7:43 am - CA
RNY on 03/04/13

So today I had my psych evaluation, all went well. One more thing checked off, yay! Anyway, she recommended on top of cardio exercise that it is important that I add weights as well.  Being that I am no where near an exercise pro, can someone give recommendations of their cardio / weight routine for a week? Do you alternate days? I know I need to create a routine that works best for me, but I am just looking for some general guidelines to follow.

Thanks all!

raptor62
on 10/31/12 9:47 am - IL
RNY on 07/27/12

You don't have to go nuts working out with weights.  Yes,  it is recommended every other day, at least for the same muscle groups.  I suggest just starting out with resistance bands. SPRI.com has good bands and lots on instructions on their website.

You need to do this in order to maintain muscle.

good luck!

Kevin

Ann M.
on 10/31/12 10:16 am - Salisbury, NC
VSG on 11/21/12

OK, I'm cheap. I use cans of soup or veggies out of the kitchen. VERY easy to work with.

While watching TV pump one arm then the other, and any other exercises you'd do with weights.

While doing this add in squats, lunges, etc.

While walking carry one in each hand and it's great weights.

Balance a can in the bend of foot/leg while sitting on edge of chair. Then pump up and down, This is hard but worth it. Switch legs.

As you get better at these increase the weight of cans. If embarrassed of cans like my friend, cover with bag, glove, etc.

Missy A.
on 10/31/12 10:27 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

I'm so glad you posted this. I too am starting to incorporate weights at the gym, but have no clue how many reps or how many sets to do. I hope someone comes along with some good ideas for those of us just starting out.

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

MissK123456789
on 10/31/12 1:10 pm - PA

Okay, here is my best advice.  I went to a personal trainer who was not helpful.  I moved on to the fitness trainer at Planet  Fitness.  He was very helpful!  I advise going to your closest branch and seeing what plan their trainer  has for you.   For $10 a month, the trainer is free.  This is a person who can help you without any personal gain.

Best,

Karen

SoCaPinkLady
on 10/31/12 10:14 pm - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I enjoy my membership at Planet Fitness!!!!

Lori                               

Mendie Thompson
on 10/31/12 1:28 pm - TX
RNY on 09/24/12

It depends on what you want to do.  Strength or toning.  Your routine would be different for each.  If you want to tone, it's lighter weights, more reps...if you go for strength, it's heavier weights, less reps.  I've had to start from scratch again.  My routine is Monday, Wednesday, Friday- tone (4 sets of 20 at whatever weight is comfortable to complete all reps)...Tuesday and Thursday are strength days (3 sets of 8-10 at approx 15-20 lbs more than toning wt)...this creates the burn.  On your strength days, make sure you follow your workout with a protein drink to help your muscles recover.  Just as an example, the gym I go to uses nautilus equipment...if I'm working my inner thighs, on toning days I do 4 sets of 20 @ 65 lbs.  on strength days, I do 3 sets of 10 (usually) @ 95 lbs.  hope this helps kiss

Angela_Italiana
on 10/31/12 5:32 pm - CA
RNY on 03/04/13

Thanks everyone, very helpful!

Dani Dutch
on 10/31/12 9:47 pm - Netherlands
I do mine at home with a set of barbells and a long bar with 2.5 kg weights.
Start off slow and take your time. You'll be sore the first couple times. You might want to get a trainer to start you off because you can do some serious damage if you lift wrong. If you can't afford one then have somebody spot you at least the first couple times. Watch and study Youtube videos and read the comments. Not all videos are good.

I like to do squats for the full body effect. It is not easy to do correctly but once you ge the hang of it you'll see and feel it.

http://www.stumptuous.com/
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Good luck :D
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 370 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 331 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 220 views