Incisions itching

Bellaluna468
on 11/3/12 11:05 am, edited 11/3/12 11:11 am
RNY on 10/26/12

I had RNY on 10/26.   I woke this morning with itching all over my incisions.  When I had the drain taken out, the PA put tape over my incisions.  I took the tape off this morning and one puffed up a little.  Tonight the itching seems  to be increasing.   Anyone else have this problem?

Pam T.
on 11/3/12 11:10 am - Saginaw, MI

This is completely normal. It means you are healing and growing new skin to cover those incisions. Just try not to scratch too hard, keep lotion on your tummy so the dry skin issue isn't compounding the healing issue... and just try to endure the discomfort until it passes. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Bellaluna468
on 11/3/12 11:13 am
RNY on 10/26/12

Thank you!  Wasn't sure it was normal with RNY or if it meant something else..

Not scratching, just patting my belly.

Pam T.
on 11/3/12 11:38 am - Saginaw, MI

Actually, this is not just a WLS specific issue. It's ANY surgery where you have healing incisions. My boss recently had bladder surgery and she itched for a couple weeks after her surgery. It's just a healing thing, not a WLS thing. :-) 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

JanBooth
on 11/3/12 11:52 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I used an antibiotic ointment on the incisions and drain site and lotion all around the belly.  The surgeon's nurse practitioner told me to be sure to keep the incisions moist with the antibiotic ointment so that I don't scratch and take a chance of getting an infection.  I healed nicely! 

Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

jiaguy
on 11/3/12 1:05 pm
RNY on 10/03/12

Also around 14 days after surgery the largest incision has a possibility of sharp pain. They tend to do some fancy stitch work to  prevent hernias... I was sitting in a meeting thinking I was going to check myself into an ER, luckily the woman next to me used to manage the WLS portfolio for US Surgical and knew the ins and outs 100%. She talked me off the wall; and by the next day I was 100% fine.

waiting_2_xhale
on 11/3/12 2:15 pm - TX

Just as the others stated above i agree ..it usually means you are healing...try using Aloe Vera gel  or Cerave to help soften and keep the skin moist. Rita

Rita

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me Thank you Lord for giving me another day to live ♥. Another day to worship & praise you!
No Weapon formed against you shall prosper,And every tongue which rises against you in judgment ...You shall condemn...  
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/3/12 2:28 pm - OH
Some people are also sensitive to the tape adhesive and that reaction can cause redness and itching.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kenochs84
on 11/4/12 11:25 am - PA
RNY on 01/03/12

I had this issue and was told that it was an allergic reaction to the steri strips.  It will go away...but makes you want to rip your skin off. 

BWB
on 11/4/12 11:41 am

I don't remember my incisions being painful or itching but I do remember periodic spells where my abdominal area itched like crazy.  I attributed it to the change of skin texture with the loss of fat cells.  It still happens on a lesser scale than early on.