To those just starting

JenK130
on 11/4/12 1:52 am
RNY on 01/30/12

I am on these boards a lot reading but don't post too often.   It was 1 year ago that I made the decision to have surgery.  I was at a wedding a year ago and felt awful.  I was at my heaviest weight ever (267).  Someone asked my husband if we were expecting!  I cringe to look at the pictures from that event. 

Like most people I made the decision to have the surgery and wanted to then have it done the next day.  The process to get to surgery date seemed so long and required a lot of time and appointments.  In hind site it went by SO fast.  I ended up having surgery 1/30/12.  After surgery I felt like I would never feel normal again.  I felt like the scale was not moving as fast as everyone else.  I felt like my hips were not meant to ever be in anything less then a size 14 pant.  I just felt like I would not be one of the losers!

What I have realized is that time is our friend not our enemy.  I am now 96 pounds lighter.  Wearing a size 10!  My labs are all excellent.  Most of all I feel great.  It is hard to remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Believe me there is.  If you are just beginning this journey have faith in yourself and the process.  You will get there but not without hard work, but boy is it worth it.

RNY 1/30/12  

MeSheHer
on 11/4/12 2:05 am
RNY on 05/08/13
Great post! Thanks for the encouraging words, because I have my surgery sometime between Feb or March 2013. Boy does that seem far away lol.
Queenbublz
on 11/4/12 2:11 am
Great post...just what I needed for today!
Knowknews
on 11/4/12 2:12 am - OH

Thank you.  I just had my surgery Monday 10/31 and it is now Sunday 11/4. 

RNY 10/29/12   HW:  295   SW: 273    DGW: 170   MGW: 145

Jamie-Sue30
on 11/4/12 2:47 am
RNY on 10/24/12

Thanks for posting this! I am 11 days post op and felt a little discouraged today. Missing food and trying to find a new way to live my life(without food being the center of it all). I am pushing myself and know that I will get there.  I walked 2.2 miles today which is what I was doing preop.  It just took me twice as long. :)

Dee.spunk
on 11/4/12 3:58 am - Sacramento, CA
Great post! I lived reading post like this when I had just began my journey. I still do! Helps keep things in perspective.

When I first started I felt the same. Everything just seem to go so slow. I'll be a year out at the end of this month. It went by so fast! But I'm happy I made this decision. Best choice ever!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Esta F.
on 11/4/12 5:15 am - IL
RNY on 07/25/12

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!  I am a little over 3 months out 7/25/12....and today has been one of those days.....i really needed the motivation!  Thanks again

mnknoyes
on 11/4/12 12:03 pm - Claremont, CA
RNY on 10/30/12 with
Thank you! I really needed to hear that!!
BWB
on 11/4/12 12:35 pm

quote  "Like most people I made the decision to have the surgery and wanted to then have it done the next day.  The process to get to surgery date seemed so long and required a lot of time and appointments.  In hind site it went by SO fast."

This is very important to get across to new WLS patients.  The time between the first consultation and the date of surgery is well spent with research, nutritionist meetings, and support group participation.  No one realizes how important until they get through it.  I have said it over and over,  it isn't time lost,  it's time to prepare.