Protein upped in liquid diet?

irobot
on 11/16/12 12:27 pm - Canada

I am trying to max out my protein as much as possible without adding more volume. Any ideas?  Everything I've tried so far destroys the taste of whatever I add it to.  (ie: protein powder to optifast)

I don't want to have another amount to add to my stomach as I am in too much pain trying to drink as it is and it's been suggested to increase protein for the wounds to heal better.

I'm on all liquids, first week out of surgery. 

Thanks!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/12 12:39 pm - OH
You may be trying to add too much protein powder. Try adding a small amount, taste it, and try adding just a small amount more, etc.. Small additional amounts will add up.

How much protein are you getting per day? It is difficult for most people to get much protein the first couple of weeks, and they heal up just fine.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

irobot
on 11/16/12 12:42 pm - Canada

I'm getting under 65 grams, I know that.  It usually falls between 40 and 50 grams but if I take another optifast, it can be as much as 60 grams.  My pouch just can't handle much, there is too much nausea after eating and the pain is crazy.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/16/12 1:08 pm - OH
You are doing GREAT on your protein for so early out! Don't stress about it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dawnru
on 11/16/12 1:54 pm

Have you tried the Unjury protein powders?  You can get them online at Unjury.com.  I have put the unflavored in tomato soup, and it really doesn't change the flavor.  Also, the chocolate splendor is really good.  I have found that if I mix it in a blender and then put it in the fridge, it becomes just like regular chocolate milk, and goes down easier. (for me) than when it is first mixed up and has all that air in it.  My nutritionist is the one who turned me on to the Unjury powders....if that helps at all   

JJ_
on 11/16/12 2:12 pm

If you read page 26 of the Your Meal Planner - After Bariatric Surgery (handed out at the education class in Ottawa), it indicates that when you are on the full fluid diet, the estimated protein intake is 30-65 grams/day.

You are right on track.

The Pureed Diet - page 33 indicates Estimated Protein- 50 to 60 grams/day.

At each stage you are expected to reach certain targets. If you are in too much pain trying to drink - STOP !!  You are fine or right on target with your current protein intake at the stage you are at.  As you heal you will be able to take more nourishment in.

Judy

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 481 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 405 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 394 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 165 views