Endoscopy with balloon dilation

Debbie C.
on 11/21/12 7:09 am - Bradford, MA
RNY on 10/10/12

I found out today that I have to have an endoscopy with balloon dilation, they scheduled it for next Friday morning at 7:00, Im really nervous, they said they will put me out and it will take about 3 hours since I recently had my RNY. Has anybody had this? Is it really as scary as it sounds?

Chamberswife
on 11/21/12 7:54 am
Oh my! I just had one last Thursday and it only took 20 min....it was easy peasy!
I was 15 weeks out. Good luck!
Rick White
on 11/21/12 9:01 am
RNY on 03/26/12
Maybe three hours from the time you get there until you leave. The procedure takes 15-20 minutes. Recovery takes about an hour and you are out of there. Nothing to it!!! Don't stress it.. Besides, you will free much better when it's over and be able to eat and pass food afterwards. That was my experience anyway. I'll say a prayer for you.. :0)

big42long
on 11/21/12 9:02 am - OH
I have had a total of 10 done. The procedure itself took 20-30 minutes. There is nothing to it. Piece of cake!

Debbie C.
on 11/21/12 9:21 am - Bradford, MA
RNY on 10/10/12

Thanks everybody, they made it sound like it was a huge ordeal. 3 hours with the recovery time isnt so bad.

rutabaga
on 11/21/12 4:18 pm - St Clair Shores, MI

Hi!
I've had 2 dilations done. 
The first one took 15 minutes. The second one took 40 minutes because my surgeon was doing other things besides balloon dilation.
Where I have mine done at, if you wear short sleeves (IV access) you don't even have to get undressed. You wear a gown over your clothes. The first time I had a very minor sore throat, no big deal. The second time they filled me full of air and I was just a "tootin" like crazy for awhile. It takes them longer to prep you and for you to wake up from anesthesia than the actual procedure. Don't be nervous. It really wasn't that bad. The worst part (I think) is when they numb your throat with the anesthetic spray. It tastes yucky. 
I will probably be going for a third next week as my symptoms have returned once again. 
Good Luck! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 479 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 402 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 145 views