IVC FILTER

brt11565
on 11/23/12 7:08 am - KY
RNY on 12/11/12

i am having the ivc filter put in dec 6th and my surgery on the 11th. anyways how is it? anyone else have it put in the groin? do they knock you out? is it very painful? i guess i am more worried about being awake when they do it....lol!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/23/12 10:07 am - OH
I have a permanent one that was not placed before my RNY, but was put in before I had my plastic surgery. I elected to have mine left in because I have a significant history of DVTs (deep vein clots).

Yes, they will either put you out completely or give you twilight sedation along with something to calm you down. Once they have completed the procedure, you will be in a recovery area for an extended period of time while the body re-seals the puncture in the vein. You will be on your back and will very likely have a weight on top of the area where they did the insertion. Someone will definitely bave to be there with you to drive you home. You will also probably be restricted as far as physical activities the following day.

I did not experience any pain during the procedure even though on the first try he hit an artery instead of the vein (and he had to put in an arterial plug and then insert the filter on the other side). The second side did not hurt much even the next day (Tylenol would have been fine for it), but the side with the arterial plug hurt like hell for over a week.

Be sure to ask whomever will be placing it (a vascular surgeon did mine) whether it will be permanent or temporary. Unless you have a history of clots they will likely remove it. (Because of the way the filter opens up in the vein, they go in through the neck to remove it.)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics