Update and Q about hospital foods

scarlettbegonias
on 11/29/12 11:14 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
What do you do when your in the hospital and the food they give you is totally inappropriate- missed putting a menu in because I just started solids today(I'm 7 weeks out) I put in for gluten free diabetic menu , I got a gf ham cheese Tom sandwich, oj,sf jelly/jello and lemon sorbet- the sorbet has a nut panel and it has 15.5g of sugar..... I dump hard on anything over 7, I haven't tried ham yet and am a bit scared and its horrible plastic cheese, I think I wanna cry.
I'm going to be here at least another week as I'm still very swollen and distended and still needing pain relief .
On a good note there's definatly no leak this time just a big ass infection.
I have another ct in a couple of days which will make my third, I've had swallows, X-rays, and a feeding tube( which I ripped out in a panic attack- no feed attached) I also have a picc line.

Sorry for the whinge feeling down today

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

ginabob
on 11/29/12 11:18 am
RNY on 06/12/12

Talk to the nurse and see if you can maybe talk to the person who prepares the menus.  I had to do that when I went back in at the 6 week mark. They worked with me.

Hope that you get well fast and the food improves for you!

scarlettbegonias
on 11/29/12 11:35 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
Thanks hun, I just wish everything had a nut label so I could see what I'm eating!

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Kat1313
on 11/29/12 11:37 am - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Gosh, girl, you've really been through it!  Whinge away!

And yes, talk to the nurses.....they can get you something more appropriate from food services.  It may take a little persistence on your part, and some educating of the staff as to what you can and can't have, but hang in there. 

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, hoping you'll soon be feeling much better.  Do let us know how you're doing, okay?

Kathy

scarlettbegonias
on 11/29/12 11:44 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
Thanks kathy, I appreciate the prayers
I got in an order for dinner which is stir fry chicken and I wrote no sides in capitols- I can't get over how much bread is on a diabetic menu.

poet_kelly
on 11/29/12 11:55 am - OH
On November 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM Pacific Time, scarlettbegonias wrote:
What do you do when your in the hospital and the food they give you is totally inappropriate- missed putting a menu in because I just started solids today(I'm 7 weeks out) I put in for gluten free diabetic menu , I got a gf ham cheese Tom sandwich, oj,sf jelly/jello and lemon sorbet- the sorbet has a nut panel and it has 15.5g of sugar..... I dump hard on anything over 7, I haven't tried ham yet and am a bit scared and its horrible plastic cheese, I think I wanna cry.
I'm going to be here at least another week as I'm still very swollen and distended and still needing pain relief .
On a good note there's definatly no leak this time just a big ass infection.
I have another ct in a couple of days which will make my third, I've had swallows, X-rays, and a feeding tube( which I ripped out in a panic attack- no feed attached) I also have a picc line.

Sorry for the whinge feeling down today

You can ask to talk to the dietician and explain your needs but they may not be very good at meeting them even so.  I was just in the hospital for five days and I asked for the vegetarian menu and it was awful - high in carbs, etc.  I ate grilled cheese sandwiches and cheese pizza almost every day.  I stuck to foods I knew I could tolerate, even if they weren't the best choices I would have made if I was at home.  And I had a friend bring me some protein bars and protein shakes to supplement my diet with.

I also had to have my friend bring in all my vitamins because the hospital pharmacy did not have the right stuff - they only had calcium carbonate, not citrate, only D2, not D3, the wrong kind of iron, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

scarlettbegonias
on 11/29/12 12:36 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
Thanks Kelly, my husbands bringing me in some string cheese- I have a little fridge, I really hadn't tried much more than chicken, refried beans, cheese, shaved turkey, a little fish and egg so these menus are scaring the hell out of me.
I think I'll get him to bring in some shakes- I hadn't thought of that!

Kelly L.
on 11/29/12 1:08 pm - San Jacinto, CA
Is there anybody close to you that could bring you a few things? I know the hospital is a distance from where you live but maybe a friend of a friend? I am so sorry about your ongoing issues! Maybe your husband could bring a little eskie with some WLS friendly things in it.. There should be lots of good hospital ice available! BTW, what city are you in?string cheese, yogurt would be good choices for the Eskie.

HW 274. CW 129

scarlettbegonias
on 11/30/12 3:31 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
Hey Kelly I'm in sunny Queensland
husband is bring me down some cheese sticks today and I realised there is a gnc on his way here so I'm hoping he can get me some rtd protein shakes in there, I'm lucky in that I have a little fridge hidden in a cabinet in my room, I think I'll also get him to pick up some yoghurt.
I managed to get one of the nurses to get me a menu for today( yesterday) and there will be scrambled eggs for breakfast, so far eggs have been great but I haven't tried scrambled yet, chicken for lunch and braised beef and ratatouille for dinner, bit sketchy on that one as I haven't had beef yet but it was the safest option!
I appreciate the tips

Kelly L.
on 12/1/12 1:08 am - San Jacinto, CA
How ya doing today?.. I lived in Western Australia for about five years ( a very very long time ago) there used to be a joint military base on the Northwest Cape. My hubby and I got married there and my oldest daughter was born in Exmouth. Great memories
I sure hope that things turn around soon for you. Please keep us updated!!!!

HW 274. CW 129

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 265 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 278 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views