Question on prescription meds

JennLa
on 2/7/13 12:19 pm, edited 2/7/13 12:20 pm
RNY on 03/07/13

I am scheduled for surgery a month from today.  I am on several prescription meds - blood pressure, diuretic, metphormin - you get the drift.   Are you able to take these right out of surgery or do I get them filled in liquid form or crush up?   Dr says I should be off all meds except maybe my Wellbutrin ( 3 kids, 4 dogs...nah hanging on to that one for a while lol) in about 6 months.  

tgs1420
on 2/7/13 12:41 pm - WI

I kept some, stopped some, and crush all. Not all come liquid, wait for your Dr. to decide.

poet_kelly
on 2/7/13 2:50 pm - OH

I was taking my prescription meds the evening after my surgery.  Be aware that we don't absorb extended release meds properly after RNY so you may need to get prescriptions changed if you're on any of those.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 2/7/13 6:27 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

Check with each of your prescribing docs. My endocrinologist told me to stop the Victoza the night before surgery (and not take any more after that) but I had to stay on the Metformin until I'd gotten down to 180 lbs. (YMMV, of course.)  I'm still on Wellbutrin, but since we can't take extended release meds I had to have that changed to the non-XR version and I take it twice a day instead of once. I was able to get off all my blood pressure meds soon after surgery, but I restarted Verapamil because my migraines got worse after I stopped it. (My blood pressure is normal now.)

In any case, NOW is the time to contact each prescribing doc and ask them specifically when if ever you should stop the med, and get any extended or sustained release meds switched to the regular versions.

Some surgeons say you have to crush your meds and some don't. I was supposed to crush mine for quite a while after surgery, but it was so onerous that I started just breaking them into small pieces instead of crushing, and when I didn't have any problems gradually made the pieces bigger and bigger until finally I was swallowing whole meds by 3 weeks out. I fessed up to my surgeon at my 3-week checkup and he said it was fine.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Bratlyn98
on 2/7/13 8:15 pm - VA
RNY on 12/19/12
Exactly the same thing as the poster before me. I stopped taking reflux meds and allergy meds as I will see if I needed those. But those for my restless legs and my cymbalta for fibro I needed to still take. So those are my only two now and I do not crush mine. When I crushed mine they made me feel horrible. Almost to the point that it worked too fast. So had to swallow. Maybe not absorb all the necessary stuff. But it was sufficient for me

Good luck!

Surgery Date: RNY: 12/19/12

Weight in: 221 lbs

Starting weight: 235 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views